Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Have there been ANY Smart Connector accessories launched in the last 6 months since the iPad Pro was released? We still just have the two keyboards by the looks of it. I was really hoping for some innovative products that would make use of the connector. Is half a year not long enough to get products out the door? Maybe. But with no announcements coming from anywhere it seems like the SC has been forgotten.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Although I'm sure far more intelligent people than I will come up with ideas, all I've thought of it being used for so far are keyboards and maybe docks.

But even just thinking of keyboards, there's the inevitable licensing fee to be paid to Apple (I would assume) to incorporate it into products. Along with the component costs, which while small, when scaled up are still likely to have companies thinking twice.

Just look at how many Apple Watch docks integrate charging as opposed to using the cable supplied with the Watch.

So that will probably keep more companies making Bluetooth devices instead. At least for a while. But saying that, what do I know, very little :D

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
But even just thinking of keyboards, there's the inevitable licensing fee to be paid to Apple (I would assume) to incorporate it into products. Along with the component costs, which while small, when scaled up are still likely to have companies thinking twice.

It seems there is little motivation for companies to come out with SC peripherals/accessories--maybe partly because of licensing fees, partly because Bluetooth and lightning are more convenient alternative connections in many ways. I think there could have been great motivation for companies to create if the SC had significant bandwidth for data, power, and even video signal. The possibilities would have been game-changing. But alas...

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I've been disappointed that we haven't seen more SC accessories, but I'm hopeful that more will make their way to market after the March 21st announcement. I'd like to see a docking solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.