Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
I just bought a new 29 inch wide LG monitor (29UM58). It wants a resolution not available on my Mac Mini running El Capitan. What? 2560 x 1080 (whatever!) and as a result I get a 4 inch black area on each side of the screen. It would be great to use the whole screen but LG tech support is no help. They tell me to hook it up via HTM cable. I did dat! I do know where to select resolutions in Preferences but the needed resolution is not there to select. Questions are: where do these choices come from? Can I glom the right resolution from another computer? Anyone help me out here?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I just bought a new 29 inch wide LG monitor (29UM58). It wants a resolution not available on my Mac Mini running El Capitan. What? 2560 x 1080 (whatever!) and as a result I get a 4 inch black area on each side of the screen. It would be great to use the whole screen but LG tech support is no help. They tell me to hook it up via HTM cable. I did dat! I do know where to select resolutions in Preferences but the needed resolution is not there to select. Questions are: where do these choices come from? Can I glom the right resolution from another computer? Anyone help me out here?

Directly from the Apple Support Discussions:

• Same issue here with an LG Ultrawide. I called Apple today and they told me it is a known issue that will be fixed in an update soon. They had me put this into the terminal and reboot my computer with no luck, but some have had luck with this if you want to give it a try:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Helpful (0)

Reply options

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7675033?start=0&tstart=0

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
Directly from the Apple Support Discussions:

• Same issue here with an LG Ultrawide. I called Apple today and they told me it is a known issue that will be fixed in an update soon. They had me put this into the terminal and reboot my computer with no luck, but some have had luck with this if you want to give it a try:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Helpful (0)

Reply options

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7675033?start=0&tstart=0
Thanks. It helps to know I'm not alone here. :) Many of the messages on the Apple discussion board seem to have had problems when they upgraded to Sierra. Which indicates that they worked fine in El Capitan. I'm not getting it with El Capitan. Many of those dates were from last year which seems to indicate that this is not an Apple priority. I did buy a Mini Displayport to HDMI Cable as suggested by the merchant and that didn't help either. Kicking display if it worked properly. I'm already running split screen even though I can't use the whole thing. I'll try your suggestion above. Thanks again.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks. It helps to know I'm not alone here. :) Many of the messages on the Apple discussion board seem to have had problems when they upgraded to Sierra. Which indicates that they worked fine in El Capitan. I'm not getting it with El Capitan. Many of those dates were from last year which seems to indicate that this is not an Apple priority. I did buy a Mini Displayport to HDMI Cable as suggested by the merchant and that didn't help either. Kicking display if it worked properly. I'm already running split screen even though I can't use the whole thing. I'll try your suggestion above. Thanks again.

That it didn't work under El Cap either confuses me a bit. Please report back whether it works or not after typing in the command, you password, restarting, and checking for more resolution options. If not I may be able to come up with more ideas.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Mmmm. That's getting me into the bowels of the machine, something I haven't done in several years. Let me bone up on this Terminal thing and get back to you.

It's not that deep an operation really. It just writes to a plist file that it should show all available resolutions, and not just recommended.
Copy and paste the command I wrote above, it'll ask for password, then reboot, and then just check resolutions in System Preferences :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Another, simpler method to display ALL available resolutions:
Open your System Preferences/Displays pane, then Option-click on the Scaled button.
You will see the resolution list with many more resolutions. Choose the one you like.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You will see the resolution list with many more resolutions. Choose the one you like.

For some reasons however this doesn't always work, and is why the Apple engineer referenced in the post on Apple Support Forums recommended the Terminal command. Sometimes option-clicking brings only a few more, sometimes it literally does nothing.

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
For some reasons however this doesn't always work, and is why the Apple engineer referenced in the post on Apple Support Forums recommended the Terminal command. Sometimes option-clicking brings only a few more, sometimes it literally does nothing.
Yes, I did that. I get a list but the one needed isn't there.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yes, I did that. I get a list but the one needed isn't there.

Don't know if it'll work (doubt it, but it's worth a shot I think) – Try this:
http://www.madrau.com

There's a free trial to test if it works
[doublepost=1487625609][/doublepost]

There's one last thing you can do in case it doesn't work, which is manually edit the plist that holds the resolutions available. That should work. In case the above doesn't work or you'd just prefer this method, leet me know and I'll help. Also list if you're still on Sierra, as the plist moves around depending on the OS

Edit: One more thing. Is your display recognised by name under System Preferences, or is it just "Colour LCD"?

Last edited:

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
I downloaded SwitchResX4
It's not that deep an operation really. It just writes to a plist file that it should show all available resolutions, and not just recommended.
Copy and paste the command I wrote above, it'll ask for password, then reboot, and then just check resolutions in System Preferences :)
I tried the Terminal entry but the line was too long. I haven't been into the system in a long time so I'll have to read up a bit. It kept going to overwrite the reboot line or something which I can't explain. I downloaded a trial version of SwitchResX and will try that. It has an extended list of resolutions but 2560 x 1080 isn't one of them. To make a custom setting, one has to disable System Integrity Protection and all this is much more than my old brain can handle. Thanks lads, for your efforts. I'll get back to you when I have something to report.
[doublepost=1487628313][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1487625609][/doublepost]

There's one last thing you can do in case it doesn't work, which is manually edit the plist that holds the resolutions available. That should work. In case the above doesn't work or you'd just prefer this method, leet me know and I'll help. Also list if you're still on Sierra, as the plist moves around depending on the OS

Edit: One more thing. Is your display recognised by name under System Preferences, or is it just "Colour LCD"?

Yes, it recognized the monitor by name, LG Ultrawide. And the computer is running El Capitan, not Sierra.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I tried the Terminal entry but the line was too long. I haven't been into the system in a long time so I'll have to read up a bit. It kept going to overwrite the reboot line or something which I can't explain. I downloaded a trial version of SwitchResX and will try that. It has an extended list of resolutions but 2560 x 1080 isn't one of them. To make a custom setting, one has to disable System Integrity Protection and all this is much more than my old brain can handle. Thanks lads, for your efforts. I'll get back to you when I have something to report.

Too long? A command can't be too long. If it's valid it's valid, no matter the length. Well, as long as we're not talking billions of characters.
Only copy this:

Reboot should not be part of the command. Copy and paste that. Hit enter on it, then your password, and then reboot afterwords. Separate entries, not one big one.

To disable System Integrity Protection for custom resolutions with Switch Res (probably your only bet, since if Switch Res doesn't show your resolution, the above probably won't either), do the following
Reboot the computer while holding cmd+R. This will take you to recovery mode. From the Menu Bar, click Utilities -> Terminal, and write "csrutil disable"
When you boot back into OS X/macOS, System Integrity Protection (SIP) will be disabled. To re-enable it, the command (still in Recovery Mode) is:
"csrutil enable"

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
Too long? A command can't be too long. If it's valid it's valid, no matter the length. Well, as long as we're not talking billions of characters.
Only copy this:

Reboot should not be part of the command. Copy and paste that. Hit enter on it, then your password, and then reboot afterwords. Separate entries, not one big one.

To disable System Integrity Protection for custom resolutions with Switch Res (probably your only bet, since if Switch Res doesn't show your resolution, the above probably won't either), do the following
Reboot the computer while holding cmd+R. This will take you to recovery mode. From the Menu Bar, click Utilities -> Terminal, and write "csrutil disable"
When you boot back into OS X/macOS, System Integrity Protection (SIP) will be disabled. To re-enable it, the command (still in Recovery Mode) is:
"csrutil enable"
Okay, I see what you're saying. I know what I have to do. I'll get back to it in awhile and let you know how I made out. Thanks.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've written here about this matter, but for other manufacturer's displays. I've hacked the plist, used SwitchResX (the licensed version, for which I own multiple licenses), and changed cables. My fix is to use a compliant DP cable - it's not a Mac-only thing, and it goes back several years - search for threads relating to "EDID fix" or "Pin 20 EDID" or "return power over pin 20" - even threads on these Forums.

Cutting to it, several manufacturers including Dell, HP, and LG have cheaped out and are using cables that do not comply with DP requirements. Search the DisplayPort.org Product Portal and stick with cable manufacturers that are on that list - Belkin, Accell, StarTech, Eizo. I've got over 50 PCs and Macs with over 120 displays in my 4 offices, and 6 displays in my home and two workstations, and sticking to those cable manufacturers solved plenty of issues, including resolution selection. In my shops, the workstations with Eizo displays never crashed, never froze, never didn't wake from sleep - they shipped with proper cables, and that's what led me on a mission to find out what was happening (see the lengthy Dell P2415Q/P2715Q thread for my discovery related to this matter).

Using Accell cables with my rMBP yielded 13 more resolution options in the Displays Pref Pane than using the cheap Dell cables (made by COXOC, which are not on the DP Portal and do return power over Pin 20), and I no longer need to use a haxie like SRX. Don't spend money on SRX but, rather, spend it on a compliant cable. SRX and haxies like it will only mask the issue you're encountering.

I even posted screenshots of a 2012 Mini Server "before" and "after" that showed the additional resolutions available after the Sierra update and using a compliant cable as "evidence" to back up my assertion, a Mac that is pretty much gimped in graphics but is still running great.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Using Accell cables with my rMBP yielded 13 more resolution options in the Displays Pref Pane than using the cheap Dell cables (made by COXOC, which are not on the DP Portal and do return power over Pin 20), and I no longer need to use a haxie like SRX. Don't spend money on SRX but, rather, spend it on a compliant cable. SRX and haxies like it will only mask the issue you're encountering.

This is a valid solution, assuming that the EDID profile isn't already detected properly, which is why I previously asked how the monitor shows up in System Preferences. I assumed in my responses that either the EDID profile was detected, but OS X/macOS for some reason didn't like the ultra wide display or the specific model, or that macOS simply doesn't handle the specific EDID of the display. If the EDID profile is not transported to the Mac at all however, I 100% agree with your recommendation.

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
Only copy this:

"csrutil enable"
Okay, I see what you're saying. I know what I have to do. I'll get back to it in awhile and let you know how I made out. Thanks.
I've written here about this matter, but for other manufacturer's displays. I've hacked the plist, used SwitchResX (the licensed version, for which I own multiple licenses), and changed cables. My fix is to use a compliant DP cable - it's not a Mac-only thing, and it goes back several years - search for threads relating to "EDID fix" or "Pin 20 EDID" or "return power over pin 20" - even threads on these Forums.

Cutting to it, several manufacturers including Dell, HP, and LG have cheaped out and are using cables that do not comply with DP requirements. Search the DisplayPort.org Product Portal and stick with cable manufacturers that are on that list - Belkin, Accell, StarTech, Eizo. I've got over 50 PCs and Macs with over 120 displays in my 4 offices, and 6 displays in my home and two workstations, and sticking to those cable manufacturers solved plenty of issues, including resolution selection. In my shops, the workstations with Eizo displays never crashed, never froze, never didn't wake from sleep - they shipped with proper cables, and that's what led me on a mission to find out what was happening (see the lengthy Dell P2415Q/P2715Q thread for my discovery related to this matter).

I even posted screenshots of a 2012 Mini Server "before" and "after" that showed the additional resolutions available after the Sierra update and using a compliant cable as "evidence" to back up my assertion, a Mac that is pretty much gimped in graphics but is still running great.
I have two cables: an Insignia 6 ft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable and the double-ended HDMI cable that came with the LG monitor. Neither fixed the problem. You're saying neither cable is working right, read meeting requirements. Insignia is, I think Best Buys company brand. The HDMI is no doubt LGs. Okay, I'll read up on what you say. This afternoon is a learning experience such as I haven't had in ten years. Thanks.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I have two cables: an Insignia 6 ft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable and the double-ended HDMI cable that came with the LG monitor. Neither fixed the problem. You're saying neither cable is working right, read meeting requirements. Insignia is, I think Best Buys company brand. The HDMI is no doubt LGs. Okay, I'll read up on what you say. This afternoon is a learning experience such as I haven't had in ten years. Thanks.
Cutting to it, to save you some time, HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 have limitations. I own displays with both versions of HDMI.

I've offered several posts related to compliant DP cabling, do feel free to search these forums - many of my posts include links to other sources that led me to picking up a multimeter and checking for myself. This whole thing goes back years - also, look up the EDID hacks and scripts for Dell displays that started for Windows and propagated to the Mac platform. These issues were causing me a few grand each month in productivity, so I took it upon myself to figure it out.

I start here: https://www.displayport.org/products-database and choose the Cables option, and go from there. Note that the manufacturers I posed are on that list. Insignia isn't. LG doesn't make their own cables, and HDMI has a completely different spec set. Cheers…

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
I'm on it. Thanks. I'm running through everything suggested here. If it's a cable, I'll buy another cable. I just want this thing to work because if it does, it will solve a whole bunch of little problems.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I skipped through some of the thread above.

You didn't tell us WHICH MAC you are using and WHAT PORTS it has on it.

If the LG display has either a displayport or minidisplayport, THAT's the port you need to use.
DON'T connect via HDMI on EITHER end.

You probably need a minidisplayport (Mac end) to displayport (LG end) cable.

And as one poster mentioned above, DON'T BUY A CHEAP ONE.
Get a GOOD one.

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
OP:

I skipped through some of the thread above.

You didn't tell us WHICH MAC you are using and WHAT PORTS it has on it.

If the LG display has either a displayport or minidisplayport, THAT's the port you need to use.
DON'T connect via HDMI on EITHER end.

You probably need a minidisplayport (Mac end) to displayport (LG end) cable.

And as one poster mentioned above, DON'T BUY A CHEAP ONE.
Get a GOOD one.
I'm using a Mac Mini running El Capitan. Seems the problems started for some when they upgraded to Sierra but mine is no go. The LG tech support, over 5 emails, said to use the HDMI ports on the computer and the monitor. An HDMI both ends cable came with the monitor. Last recommendation was to send the monitor to them because it must not be right. I was using a MDPort to HDMI cable. Neither cured the problem. You're recommending I NOT use the HDMI and I'm about to search for cables. I've tried several of the recommended fixes but the required resolution is not there. I have to get back to work for a few days so I'm not trying anything until I catch up. Fortunately I'm setting up the Mini to take over for an older computer that is still working fine. I'll report back but thanks for adding another suggestion.

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
This LG monitor only has two HDMI ports. So the cable has to be HDMI to whatever computer requires, in my case, it's HDMI or Mini DisplayPort. I think the cable I bought was $30 or so, an Insignia (Best Buy). So the best thing right now is researching through the manual and LG website, plus diddling around with SwitchResX. Everyone, you all have been most helpful and if I ever solve this thing, I have you to thank. Apparently most people who bought this model are happy. According to the website, the biggest gripe is there are no speakers, just a headphone jack. Other than that, it's highly recommended. More to come.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
So the best thing right now is researching through the manual and LG website, plus diddling around with SwitchResX.
IMO, I don't agree with this and I think you'll regret it. Send that cable back to BB and get a proper cable. SwitchResX is a nice utility, but unneeded with the proper cabling. Good luck…

Izzy Swift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Southern New England US
IMO, I don't agree with this and I think you'll regret it. Send that cable back to BB and get a proper cable. SwitchResX is a nice utility, but unneeded with the proper cabling. Good luck…
Campyguy --- would it be against MacRumors policy for you to recommend such a cable? The Insignia cable I got says “Supports up to 1080P and Ultra HD 4K and 2 K resolutions and it is doing just that: 1080P. I've scoured the web looking for a site that says “supports resolutions up to 2560 x 1080”. If, as you say, the proper cable should widen out this screen, I'd like to get one and get this thing up and running. So far I have 10 hours on this problem all told, what with emails, research and trial and errors. Belkin has a slew of cables but I don't know which to get unless more money is better. Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I could be wrong on this but...

I don't think you bought the right display for use with a Mac. At least with the Mac Mini.

I -think- "the one you should have bought" is a version of the display that has both HDMI -and- displayport inputs.

I'm going to -guess- that the video on the Mini may be incapable of "defining" the proper resolution for that display, because the Mini is "seeing" an HDMI attachment scheme, and is "offering to you" ONLY those resolutions that it normally associates with HDMI.

And.. that "widescreen" is not one of them.

I'm going to reckon that the Mini WOULD be able to "see" the display properly IF it had a displayport connection (which can "convey" resolutions other than standard HDMI).

It -might- be possible to "force" the display into "RGB mode" over HDMI. Not sure.
If this can be done, it -might- be possible to use something like SwitchRez to force the correct resolution.

But again -- I think you need a widescreen display that has displayport to "get what you need" out of the Mini.

I could be completely wrong about this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.