Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I am trying to download the latest version of Nikon's PicturePROJECT software. The version that came with my just-purchased d40 is 1.7.4 and is ppc-based. I am looking for 1.7.5 for my intel imac, and it seems Nikon has pulled it.

So you have an intel mac and you just went out and bought a new Nikon D40....and there is not native software that comes with the camera, wow!

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
It looks like View NX is replacing it and the old View, but the update is still available for download from Nikon UK.

I did download the UK version 1.7.5 and that update did not work for me because it was a different region's update. It is odd this update cannot be found for us USA users any longer?

Why did Nikon pull it?

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I changed the title of this thread to better describe my situation.

What is going on with Nikon and Apple (USA)? Like the person above states, you can still download Nikon's PictureProject 1.7.5 (universal binary) for the UK version of their software, but not the USA version.

It used to be available for downolad, as you can find links to it (1.7.5) at places like version tracker, but when one actually tries to download PictureProject 1.7.5 updater for Mac at Nikon's site the download does not work.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I changed the title of this thread to better describe my situation.

What is going on with Nikon and Apple (USA)? Like the person above states, you can still download Nikon's PictureProject 1.7.5 (universal binary) for the UK version of their software, but not the USA version.

It used to be available for downolad, as you can find links to it (1.7.5) at places like version tracker, but when one actually tries to download PictureProject 1.7.5 updater for Mac at Nikon's site the download does not work.

I'm done with Nikon. I have a P2, which I bought almost solely for the wi-fi transfer ability. It doesn't work in Leopard, Picture Project can't even import using the USB cable, Picture Project is no longer available due to some kind of licensing problem, and Nikon has been completely useless as far as helping me regain the camera's former usefulness. I don't know what my next camera will be, but it won't be a Nikon.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Right now I'm back using PictureProject 1.7.4 which is very slow on my intel imac, as it is a ppc app. I only use PictureProject in a very limited way, to apply Nikon's Dynamic Lighting option to some my .nef (nikon's raw) file, and then export as jpgs or tiffs.

Other free and/or very affordable options for raw image processing I have been checking out include the latest version of GIMP with gimp's raw processor--UFRaw & GraphicConverter, which can open and process most raw files.

Nonetheless, it SEEMS like Nikon's is dropping the ball with its software.

Only speculating here, but it maybe Apple might be using corporate tactics to get folks to switch to Apple's own applications for any/all photo or image manipulation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.