Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
So I would like to get some prints of some photos just to decorate my apartment, and was just wondering where you guys get your budget prints from?

I would like for it to look good, but honestly, this is just for me, so I don't want to spend an unnecessary fortune.

I've been looking at canvas prints, such as http://www.largeformatposters.com/Artist-Canvas-Posters.html

but the horrible photoshop canvas texture scares me...

thanks guys!

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I use Costco for my personal "snapshot" style photos but I use mpix for anything I am selling.

I don't want prints going to a paying customer with COSTCO on the back :)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'm a smugmug subscriber and always order personal prints through them. I've found them incredibly trustworthy and they'll do cartwheels to make their customers happy.

scamateur

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
Adoramapix.com did beautiful 8x10's, 11x14's, and 16x20's for me. I highly recommend them for quality AND price.

I've only used SmugMug for smaller prints, but I agree they were excellent.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mpix.com

I have never had any problems at all. Contrast, blacks, color, and saturation are always spot on and exactly what I was expecting. Plus, they are pretty cheap!

Just make sure to check the box that says 'no color corrections'.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I was expecting more people to chime in with responses in favor of White House Custom Color. I haven't used either WHCC, or mpix, but I'm curious to know if there's much of a difference between them.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I was expecting more people to chime in with responses in favor of White House Custom Color. I haven't used either WHCC, or mpix, but I'm curious to know if there's much of a difference between them.

just sent some test prints to WHCC and have not got them yet, so I don't know if i will use them yet

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How big are your digital files? You need to have enough pixels for 300 per inch. So if the frame is 3,000 x 2,000 you can go up to 10" wide.

OK, you can print larger 300 assumes the image is held atarms length. If you stand back twice that distance you can go to 150 pixels per inch or a 20" print.

You can go lower than these standards but quality suffers

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
MPIX is great. Really quick turn around, good costumer service, great products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.