Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've been searching through the various metadata views in Aperture and am not finding the "EXIF sub IFD" info for "Exposure Program". I know the info is in my files because I can view this information using the EXIF viewer for Firefox. But where the heck is it in Aperture? I want to be able to look up what mode I was using (e.g. Av or Tv) when I shot certain photos, and I want to do this right within Aperture itself.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
metadata tab - "exif" on the bottom. it uses numbers, though. apparently manual is 1, program is 2, and aperture priority is 3.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
metadata tab - "exif" on the bottom. it uses numbers, though. apparently manual is 1, program is 2, and aperture priority is 3.

Hmm. Your Aperture must be a different version (I'm using 2.1.2). I have nothing like that at the bottom of the EXIF tab. If I go to "EXIF Expanded", then somewhere near the middle is "Exposure Mode" with a number following it. Is that it? The photo I'm looking at says "0". Does that mean Tv?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Hmm. Your Aperture must be a different version (I'm using 2.1.2). I have nothing like that at the bottom of the EXIF tab. If I go to "EXIF Expanded", then somewhere near the middle is "Exposure Mode" with a number following it. Is that it? The photo I'm looking at says "0". Does that mean Tv?

hm. maybe i changed some setting or other. i've no idea what number Tv is, since i've yet to use it. just do a quick export and look at the exif i guess :confused:

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

Is this what your looking for??? Any of these 3?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 94

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

I don't speak Canon, but if Tv means aperture priority, then yes. FWIW, LR is kind enough to decode that value in their metadata panel. An exposure mode value of 1 is manual for my camera.

edit: fwiw, in the glossary section of the Aperture user manual, the definition for program exposure categorizes it as an exposure mode.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 84

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Is this what your looking for??? Any of these 3?

Yes, the third one: Exposure Program. But what application did you excerpt that from?

I don't speak Canon, but if Tv means aperture priority, then yes. FWIW, LR is kind enough to decode that value in their metadata panel. An exposure mode value of 1 is manual for my camera.

edit: fwiw, in the glossary section of the Aperture user manual, the definition for program exposure categorizes it as an exposure mode.

No. Tv is Shutter Priority. So I guess I've found it now. It's called Exposure Mode in Aperture and is halfway down the Extended EXIF list. I'll do some experimenting to decode the values it provides. I thought Apple was supposed to be the company that made things intuitive! Grrrrrr.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Update

OK, so I took four photos, one in each of the creative modes: M, Av, Tv, P. The one taken in manual mode registered as "1" in the EXIF data for "Exposure Mode." The other three all register as "0". :( :confused:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thats in Aperture. Same version you have.
If your on the 'metadata' tag just click 'EXIF' at the bottom and you should see it.

Perfect!! Thank you! OK, so it's NOT called "Exposure Mode" after all. It's properly called "Exposure Program," and here are the values:

1 = Manual

2 = Program

3 = Aperture Priority

4 = Shutter Priority

:):)

Now if I can just remember those cryptic values. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.