Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
Well maybe not "critique" but for helpful opinions and information to make them better :)
I've been playing around with my new camera and took a few pics yesterday I was generally happy with.. but would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve on.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Well maybe not "critique" but for helpful opinions and information to make them better :)
I've been playing around with my new camera and took a few pics yesterday I was generally happy with.. but would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve on.

Lot's of people post photos here for a critique and usually get really good feedback.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

We've got a really good group going at the Fortnightly Challenge. We would love to have you join us at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/873757/

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The Challenge is good. Photo of the Day can be a bit daunting because some of the photos posted are so fantastic. At least that is how I felt when I first started posting photos about six months ago.

You could just go ahead and post in your own thread asking for comments and critique. You will find that the people in the photo forum are very helpful.

Dale

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
Oh I know its so helpful here :D
This is the forum where I feel most comfortable, it also helps that it is mac specific as well.

I am going to post a pic I posted on another much larger forum, and a comment I got was that the skin tones are unnatural (whatever that means because my son is really exactly as you see in the pic) and that my white balance was not good. :confused:

Ok I tried to add the picture but it did not show up, so I am now going to just post the link?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48147485@N05/4412360315/

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Oh I know its so helpful here :D
This is the forum where I feel most comfortable, it also helps that it is mac specific as well.

I am going to post a pic I posted on another much larger forum, and a comment I got was that the skin tones are unnatural (whatever that means because my son is really exactly as you see in the pic) and that my white balance was not good. :confused:

Ok I tried to add the picture but it did not show up, so I am now going to just post the link?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48147485@N05/4412360315/

Good composition... Only a few minor things I'd critique you about... Colors look a little soft to me ? but only slightly - I can tell a lot in the red pole. Tree in the background is too distracting.

Great model, nice eye - Good Job ! keep it up.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
Thanks!

That pole is actually as you see it, not red but some kind of weird salmon pink rose color.. LOL The settings on the camera are vivid! and I didn't use any PP aside from uploading it into iPhoto and cropping it somewhat.

I kind of liked the tree there! :eek:

This is the other one from the same set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48147485@N05/4412360315/ My son is really that fair, I did not alter the image, I like it aside from the green bench in the background.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
Nature? meh not really... The closest I get to that is when my kids are outside as you see in these pics :D
My true interest I gravitate towards is portraiture.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The photo seems a little unbalanced to me. There's no visual interest on the left to balance the items on the right. Cropping the image away might draw more attention to the subject. As it is, the tree is too centered in the photo and distracts the viewer from the main subject, due to its position. It is also getting close to that dangerous "sprouting from the head" location that also distracts from the main subject as well.

Otherwise the exposure seems pretty good except maybe seems like a little red channel blowout in the pole, as evidenced by some color shift along its length. But I could be wrong.

Ruahrc

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
fredmiranda.com.

Careful though, those people have teeth :)
This website is great. I have been there for 6 years. However, there are cliques on that site. Some of the regulars post stuff i think is "whatever". I have stuff that may be stellar, but is boring to me, lol. Maybe i am just too critical of my own pictures that i don't post there.

a great site that i have been posting to for years is photosig.com

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This website is great. I have been there for 6 years. However, there are cliques on that site. Some of the regulars post stuff i think is "whatever". I have stuff that may be stellar, but is boring to me, lol. Maybe i am just too critical of my own pictures that i don't post there.

a great site that i have been posting to for years is photosig.com

Agreed about the cliques!!! Its bad sometimes. I got jumped on cause I called a crap photo crap (but I explained why in detail, the picture being a senior portrait and the senior was blurred out completely and the picture focused on a bum on the street corner) but since it was a favorite everyone told me I was wrong haha.

Aside from the cliques I do like the site.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Found the OPs photo!

Here is my take:

I would have cropped a bit off the top and just a hair off of the right side so that the pole is the very edge of the frame (instead of towards the top where you can see a little on the other side of the pole.)

The colors are nice and the exposure is spot on. I'm a little unsure of the tree in the background. I notice it too much. I think cropping some off the top and making the kid the dominant force in the picture would keep me from noticing the tree to much.

Other then that it looks sharp and in focus. I love vibrant colors in pictures and this has them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.