Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Got iOS 18. Thought I'd try RCS on a friend. That just seems to say text messages are available. Went in the messages app settings. Nothing in there. A quick look round the web seems to imply there was an "enable RCS" above "enable MMS" in the settings menu in some betas at least. Where is it? Do I still have to keep using f'kin WhatsApp to send most people a picture? 🤦‍♂️

FYI: I'm in the UK, on O2, which talks about using RCS on android on their website, so I assume it's supported by the network?

zobby

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Believe it has to be supported specifically for iOS by the provider. Most in the UK aren’t yet. I’m with smarty (3) and have not seen sight nor sound of RCS on 18 beta under the last few months.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
  • Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
I thought the point of RCS is that it's cross-platform and a standard. Guess I'll have to wait then. And keep having to use 2 different apps for messaging everyone. 😢
Yes, it is a standard that every phone carrier can implement. And they have had years to do it. And very few of them did. Hence, Google came out with their own thing based on the standard, but improved in some ways. (That's why an Android phone on O2 can send RCS. It's because of Google's efforts, not anything O2 did.) But I guess Google didn't give Apple access to it and Apple doesn't want to build their own (I am sure there were some negotiation talks, but nothing public), so it is back in the hands of carriers to go and implement the original standard. Maybe iOS 18 adoption will give carriers the kick in the butt to go do it finally?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I don’t know if this helps but we were looking into it tonight. Or son has a Samsung s24. If he sets Samsung messages app as a default RCS doesn’t work since that app doesn’t support it. As soon as he changed his default app to Google messages RCS worked and we got delivered and read receipts.

mblm85

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Yorkshire, UK
It seems to be only EE in the UK.
I'm on EE and have been on the public betas over the summer. I've found RCS to be very unstable.

One minute my texts to my boss on his Android phone are SMS messages, then it seemed to realise we could both do RCS, the messages then switched to RCS, and then more recently it's dropped back down to SMS and stayed there. Lots of comments on other threads describe similar experiences wherever a provider has enabled RCS.

I think it's going to take some tweaking by Apple and the networks, and time to bed in.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
I'm going through all my texts to non-iPhone users - green bubbles. Every single one says "Text Message - SMS" in the text field. I have RCS enabled. I restarted my phone. And I've had 18 since Beta 1. On the RC now.

DukeSilver79

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
I'm going through all my texts to non-iPhone users - green bubbles. Every single one says "Text Message - SMS" in the text field. I have RCS enabled. I restarted my phone. And I've had 18 since Beta 1. On the RC now.
Mine said RCS on a few of my friends who have higher end phones. The techy folk. Today they all say SMS. I dunno.

Reactions: Rob9874
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.