Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckseid

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Los Angeles
Ebay. Some reputable dealers there from Asia...check their feedback...some really good one with 99% positive feedback.

Or.

you can venture out to local camera stores that don't have a web presence...call them up....that's how i got mine....the big guns won't have it...the small ones sometimes do

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I waited and waited for the LX3 but couldn't find one. I wound up buying the D-Lux 4 (I got 25% off of it, so that helped soften the blow on the cost)

I absolutely LOVE the camera. You won't be disappointed by the IQ, I can easily shoot up to ISO400, 800 with some work. 1600 in B&W only (in my opinion)

As far as where to get it. I've only seen the price CLIMB in recent months, Occasionally amazon has a good price. But really not all that often. I suppose B&H will be your best bet.

mfsnyc

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Just curious if those with the Panasonic cams mentioned in this thread shoot in RAW & how you work with the RAW files? Unfortunately all the ancient (CS2) photoshop/camera raw software I have doesn't support .RW2.

(I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150)

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Most people who are looking at this camera aren't looking for a DSLR because they already own one. This particular P&S camera, aside from being the Panasonic version of the nearly identical Leica counterpart, is approaching the realm of the "Pro" level point and shoot. What I mean is that this camera gives the entire range of a pro level DSLR settings in a pocket-sized P&S form factor. Its great for those times when a full sized DSLR isn't ideal.

My personal opinion is that you don't actually reach the Pro level point and shoot cameras till you move into the Sigma DP1 and Ricoh GR Digital II, Leica also has a newer Leica only P&S out as well. All of these cameras are usually in 450-700 dollar range.

What's the big deal with this thing?

Maybe great back at the time, but dpreview.com says it still noisy.

My E-420 body only was $323, and now is refurbished for $263. You can get a basic lens for it cheap also.

Also, other dSLR's are cheaper on sale or refurbished...

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
My personal opinion is that you don't actually reach the Pro level point and shoot cameras till you move into the Sigma DP1 and Ricoh GR Digital II, Leica also has a newer Leica only P&S out as well. All of these cameras are usually in 450-700 dollar range.

I'm not sure why, control wise? Both of those cameras, the sigma and the ricoh have more significant issues (speed, image quality) and both lack zoom lenses, and the Panasonic's lens is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.