Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triotary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
where is the best place to buy Sandisk extreme III CF?

Ebay is good but I see alot of complains that there are alot of people selling fake Sandisk on ebay.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I have a question about these higher speed CF cards. Are the DSLR's capable of even writing to the disk at these speeds. I don't see the point in buying one of these if the cameras can't write to it at the max speeds...???

Nuc

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nuc said:
I have a question about these higher speed CF cards. Are the DSLR's capable of even writing to the disk at these speeds. I don't see the point in buying one of these if the cameras can't write to it at the max speeds...???

Nuc

Choose your cards wisely. A lot of the more advanced cameras have good throughput but the digital SLRs in the lower price ranges don't come close and even the Ultra II is more than enough.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
bousozoku said:
Choose your cards wisely. A lot of the more advanced cameras have good throughput but the digital SLRs in the lower price ranges don't come close and even the Ultra II is more than enough.

True. http://www.robgalbraith.com tests cameras regularly with various CF cards.

The current leader card is the Sandisk Extreme IV- and cameras out right now don't support its biggest weapon. Its new card reader allows it to transfer at speeds 2x that of existing cards though.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Silentwave said:
True. http://www.robgalbraith.com tests cameras regularly with various CF cards.

The current leader card is the Sandisk Extreme IV- and cameras out right now don't support its biggest weapon. Its new card reader allows it to transfer at speeds 2x that of existing cards though.
Thanks for the link. I looked at the different camera write speeds and it looks like the Nikon D200 beats all the other camera's. I wonder what the results will be for the Sony Alpha...

Nuc

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Silentwave said:

I'd rather have four 2 GB cards rather than one 8 GB card, just in case something went wrong.

I was noticing how much card readers make a difference. My parents' Windows machine has a built-in card reader and my external USB 2.0 reader is 8x as fast on the same Ultra II card.

Nuc said:
Thanks for the link. I looked at the different camera write speeds and it looks like the Nikon D200 beats all the other camera's. I wonder what the results will be for the Sony Alpha...

Nuc

Just check the speed of the Minolta alpha series that the Sony used to be. ;)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
bousozoku said:
I'd rather have four 2 GB cards rather than one 8 GB card, just in case something went wrong.

Very true, I do the same. It is good to have more then one card with you at all times just incase something were to happen...because you never know with technology. :)

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
bousozoku said:

Also, the Extreme series has a wider operating temperature over the Ultra II. I would also imagine that the QC is even more stringent on the Extremes.

triotary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Silentwave said:

Sweet! I got a 20D and they going to update the 20D page soon! The last update was 2004 ~_~

triotary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
too bad that they only have canon and nikon cameras in their tests >.<

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Since no one else has said this yet -

I buy all my memory cards from Calumet Photographic ( i go in person though )

http://www.calumetphoto.com/Computers+~+Media/Memory+~+Media/SanDisk/

I get my 2GB Extreme III CF cards from them for $109

ebay sometimes has cheaper, but there is so many scams its hard to get a real one ;)

and no. sandisk is not baaaaaad. they clearly provide a solid and dependable card, where the few lexar cards i have tried all had issues with file corruption. in my opinion. lexar is baaaaaaaad :)

edit: just looked at calumet, they lowered the price to $104 for a Extreme III 2GB CF lol!

honeybee

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Where can I buy Extreme IV reader

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy Extreme IV card reader?

I am also looking for Sandisk SDHC 4GB bundled with card reader.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.