Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi everyone,
I'd really like to print this:

as a 24" x 8" or so, but am not sure where I can have this done. I'd really love if I could have it printed on high quality matte paper. I'm not talking about slightly thickened printer paper. Any brick and mortar print shop with locations in Chicagoland or online place that ships to the US would be good, but B&M is preferable due to the size of the print.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
some places like kinkos have some really nice printers for big ads and the like. I'm pretty sure they could print it on one of those printers for a price :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
some places like kinkos have some really nice printers for big ads and the like. I'm pretty sure they could print it on one of those printers for a price :)

Whoa, thanks for the quick reply. Does kinkos use paper with good dynamic range? If I hadn't put so much work into split toning, I'd just use Ilford B&W.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Whos, thanks for the quick reply. Does kinkos use paper with good dynamic range? If I hadn't put so much work into split toning, I'd just use Ilford B&W.

I seriously don't know much about it. it was just an idea. I've seen people going there to print ads and pictures.. but I seriously don't know much about it.. If there's one close to you, you could go and ask them.. or just call them :)

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
I could print it for you.

I have some Hahnemühle German Etching Paper that B&W and toned prints look really good on.

Hit me with an email and we can try to work something out.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I'm sure you've thought of this but you could always print as 16x24 with white space top and bottom. Might be cheaper than the custom size stuff.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Whoa, thanks for the quick reply. Does kinkos use paper with good dynamic range? If I hadn't put so much work into split toning, I'd just use Ilford B&W.
My brother-in-law got a great print at kinko's. I went (different store) and my results weren't nearly as good. I have a feeling it's dependent on who's working there.

One thing to consider before you get your print is how you're going to frame it. Custom frame jobs are expensive, so if you can find a frame that's the right size, you're better off trying to make it that size.

I haven't used them, but http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?Type=Panorama
looks good, except it has to be in 6-inch increments for height.

By the way, the image that you have, I would think would work much better as two prints, one above the other, as opposed to one image. Alternatively, you could align them horizontally, but I would have each one framed individually. Two pictures together without any border tends to be visually unappealing. Not that you asked for my opinion.:cool:

Dave

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Second vote for WHCC- they're amazing, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, they'll reprint for free without even seeing the original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.