Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KRB24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I currently have a 750GB 5400 RPM hardrive in my Macbook Pro 17" (May 2011). I want to add a SSD (Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch) to it. Should I install the SSD in the optibay slot or in the main harddrive slot next to the battery? In other words, are both slots SATA III? If they are both SATA III, then it shouldn't matter where I install it, right? What about heat issues. Is one slot better with heat over the other? Thanks.

Last edited:

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Although lots are having success with mounting SSDs in the optical bay that reports SATA 3, lots of SSD manufacturers are not recommending mounting anything more than SATA2 in the optical bay due to the inconsistencies in stability they have found.

If you do support SATA 3 then make sure the caddy you get supports SATA 3 as well, as lots of them still currently support SATA 2 only.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I currently have a 750GB 5400 RPM hardrive in my Macbook Pro 17" (May 2011). I want to add a SSD (Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch) to it. Should I install the SSD in the optibay slot or in the main harddrive slot next to the battery? In other words, are both slots SATA III? If they are both SATA III, then it shouldn't matter where I install it, right? What about heat issues. Is one slot better with heat over the other? Thanks.

i thought there was only a Feb 2011 and Oct 2011

KRB24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
To find out, go to

:apple: > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Serial-ATA > Link Speed

The "Link Speeds" are both 6Gb, which I'm assuming means they are both SATA III. However, the Superdrive slot has a Negotiated Link Speed of 1.5Gb, while the main drive slot has 3Gb. What does this mean?

----------

i thought there was only a Feb 2011 and Oct 2011

Feb 2011 = May 2011 :D

----------

Although lots are having success with mounting SSDs in the optical bay that reports SATA 3, lots of SSD manufacturers are not recommending mounting anything more than SATA2 in the optical bay due to the inconsistencies in stability they have found.

If you do support SATA 3 then make sure the caddy you get supports SATA 3 as well, as lots of them still currently support SATA 2 only.

It makes sense to install the SSD in the main drive slot, and the HDD in the optibay slot. A SATA II caddy will be fine for installing the HDD right? Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Second-...ge_Internal&hash=item2ebc293531#ht_3951wt_915

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.