Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
USA MAC Users - where do you purchase your new apple products?
I have always purchased directly from Apple. B&H appears to offer better pricing. I've read that apple will match price, but have not seen where a buyer can price match when purchasing online from Apple/com.

I also noticed B&H seems to have a faster ship time for the iMac I'm considering vs purchasing from Apple.

I would love feedback on your buying experiences and recommendations - thank you!

... and apologies if this has already been asked and answered. I tried searching first, but didn't see a thread :)

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
USA MAC Users - where do you purchase your new apple products?
I have always purchased directly from Apple. B&H appears to offer better pricing. I've read that apple will match price, but have not seen where a buyer can price match when purchasing online from Apple/com.

I also noticed B&H seems to have a faster ship time for the iMac I'm considering vs purchasing from Apple.

I would love feedback on your buying experiences and recommendations - thank you!

... and apologies if this has already been asked and answered. I tried searching first, but didn't see a thread :)
Really depends. If you're shopping for a product that just came out 5 minutes ago, the only place to go is Apple.com. If you are looking for an older product (anything over 2 months) you can probably find deals from resellers that will beat Apple online. Otherwise you'll need to go into a store to get the same deal.

I always buy from the Apple store because I almost always buy right after a product announcement, and because I can return for a replacement product should it be a lemon. (I had to do that for my MBP.) I'm not sure what the policy of these online sites are for returns / defects, but it does always concern me when shopping third party.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Here are a few considerations:

1) If you qualify, Apple offers educational discounts for U.S. students and educators.
2) If you qualify, Apple offers discounts to military and government employees.
3) Apple charges sales tax. B&H does not unless you’re buying in New Jersey or New York.
4) If you buy from them, Apple has the absolute best return policy, period.
5) MacRumors has a handy buyer’s guide as well that will show the prices at several other resellers as well.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
B&H or apple. B&H doesn't charge sales tax and are reputable. If i didn't live in NY, i would buy from B&H hands down... no sales on on a 5k+ computer.

Reactions: Ally77

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Really depends. If you're shopping for a product that just came out 5 minutes ago, the only place to go is Apple.com. If you are looking for an older product (anything over 2 months) you can probably find deals from resellers that will beat Apple online. Otherwise you'll need to go into a store to get the same deal.

I always buy from the Apple store because I almost always buy right after a product announcement, and because I can return for a replacement product should it be a lemon. (I had to do that for my MBP.) I'm not sure what the policy of these online sites are for returns / defects, but it does always concern me when shopping third party.

Good point about lemon/return option - thank you!
[doublepost=1515741295][/doublepost]
Here are a few considerations:

1) If you qualify, Apple offers educational discounts for U.S. students and educators.
2) If you qualify, Apple offers discounts to military and government employees.
3) Apple charges sales tax. B&H does not unless you’re buying in New Jersey or New York.
4) If you buy from them, Apple has the absolute best return policy, period.
5) MacRumors has a handy buyer’s guide as well that will show the prices at several other resellers as well.

Thank you!

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Re: Apple price matching, is this correct?
I went in to an Apple store today to purchase for get a price match. The rep that assisted me told me the match is only on products that Apple sells straight away without customization (i.e. upgrade from 8 to 16 GB) - even tho I could show the same customization on B&H for a little less. Is that true, or did we perhaps miscommunicate? TIA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.