Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you buy?

• Total voters

KaliaHaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
There's two amazing deals for MacBooks lined up. They're the same year and stuff. 13.3in rMBP 2014 2.6GHZ 8GB ram 256 SSD.

Option A is $800 or $815 and it includes a charger and Applecare(insurance) until August.

Option B is about $745 and it doesn't include a charger and has no AppleCare.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Option A is $815 because
1) it has AppleCare
2) it has charger

You do know that the charger is very expensive.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
depends how "clumsy" you are with your stuff honestly. I just got a 2012 15in rMBP and upgraded from a 2008 15in MBP I got in like 2012 used. never had to take it into apple to get fixed. only had to replace the battery. got rid of it because the screen started falling apart after I dropped it like 10 times (all within the last year) It surprisingly was really durable. If you are extra careful with your stuff, go with option B seeing that you can get a charger on eBay for like 20 bucks, saving you a bit of money (if you're tight on money). But this is only if you know you're not going to damage your laptop in a way applecare will be able to fix. In reality if I wasn't tight on money, I would go with A as you get that guaranteed insurance, and charger without the hassle of trying to order a charger online.

TLDR

not clumsy, tight on money = B
clumsy, not tight on money = A

KaliaHaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
depends how "clumsy" you are with your stuff honestly. I just got a 2012 15in rMBP and upgraded from a 2008 15in MBP I got in like 2012 used. never had to take it into apple to get fixed. only had to replace the battery. got rid of it because the screen started falling apart after I dropped it like 10 times (all within the last year) It surprisingly was really durable. If you are extra careful with your stuff, go with option B seeing that you can get a charger on eBay for like 20 bucks, saving you a bit of money (if you're tight on money). But this is only if you know you're not going to damage your laptop in a way applecare will be able to fix. In reality if I wasn't tight on money, I would go with A as you get that guaranteed insurance, and charger without the hassle of trying to order a charger online.

TLDR

not clumsy, tight on money = B
clumsy, not tight on money = A

I terms of how clumsy I am, my first laptop ever had it's hinges destroyed completely by me dropping it off my bed. My current one however is in perfect shape as I've learned what not to do. This being said, I know applecare doesn't cover drops and stuff!
How's the 2012 running? I got another one on the table for $650 but it's a late 2013.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I terms of how clumsy I am, my first laptop ever had it's hinges destroyed completely by me dropping it off my bed. My current one however is in perfect shape as I've learned what not to do. This being said, I know applecare doesn't cover drops and stuff!
How's the 2012 running? I got another one on the table for $650 but it's a late 2013.

Go option A lol. But nah, it runs fine. I was debating whether I should just get one of the ones more current but I couldn't really see the different since I'm just using it for college stuff. Saved me a lot of money and the previous owner helped out a bit. has 8gb ram and 512 SSD. got it for $1K even. Not complaining seeing how it retailed for around 2499 when it debuted. So much faster compared to a HDD I was using before

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Charger for 20 bucks? I wouldn't risk it. The QC will probably be very bad and may have short circuit which will put your house and family in danger if it chases fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.