Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lysia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2017
I'm looking to purchase a secondary computer for working away from the office. Most of my work is in Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. I work on mostly short-to-midlength videos but sometimes have to do heavy color work, resizing, time remapping, etc (esp with drone footage). Currently I'm mostly working in 1080p but I may be working with more 4K down the road so good to be prepared for that. I am looking at getting a 15" MacBook Pro but trying to determine whether the $2,399 model would be sufficient for my needs or if I need the $2,799 one. We're a nonprofit so would obviously love to save $ if possible but not compromise being able to work efficiently...
Thanks much!

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
You might want to go with the more expensive model with more GPU (550) and 512 GB SSD.

Either is fine but just make sure your asset drive is fast enough or if you think you can cut off the size of the internal disk. The internal disk is of course the fastest but 4k will eat that up real quick.

dlim1027

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
I'm looking to purchase a secondary computer for working away from the office. Most of my work is in Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. I work on mostly short-to-midlength videos but sometimes have to do heavy color work, resizing, time remapping, etc (esp with drone footage). Currently I'm mostly working in 1080p but I may be working with more 4K down the road so good to be prepared for that. I am looking at getting a 15" MacBook Pro but trying to determine whether the $2,399 model would be sufficient for my needs or if I need the $2,799 one. We're a nonprofit so would obviously love to save $ if possible but not compromise being able to work efficiently...
Thanks much!
If you want the best performance on Adobe apps, you should go with a windows laptop. For the same money, you'll get much better performance. FCPX runs really well on the newest MBPs, however.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.