Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
So I have been shooting with my digital Rebel XT in RAW for the past year and feel fairly proficient with both the camera and Aperture, as well as Lightroom. I like both programs equally, each have their own pros and cons, and though I like iphoto, I have not touched it in months. I have recently decided to switch over to film. I just bought a couple film cameras and am loving the shots i'm getting with them. What I'm wondering is what people who shoot film use to manipulate and organize their photos on their macs? Since I am not shooting RAW anymore, I am wondering if there is any point in using a RAW workflow app like Aperture or LR anymore and simply using iphoto for organization and photoshop for adjustments? What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks in advance

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
I personally use LR to manage both film and digital. I largely use film now and import them from scans. For me the workflow is pretty much the same regardless of source. I don't do much post processing but do want to be able to track down images at a later date. LR does that just fine for me.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Depending on how you get your film images scanned, you could get RAW files from the film, too. My Nikon film scanner will scan 14 bit and save as NEF files if that's what I want. The file size from a 35mm scan at full resolution can be huge, however. I haven't actually done that due to file size considerations, but it would probably be the best way to archive film digitally.

As far as LR goes, it should still work for organizing what you do as always.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.