Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wishxmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
Turkey
Hi All Dear Friends;

I Ordered 2016 Macbook 12 İnch, guess it will come tomorrow.
I didnt use Macbook before never in my life, will be first.

Which applications or programs I must download for Mac? I wanted your advice.

Also you can advise anything important.

Thanks all, Sorry for my bad english.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Strange.... I usually know what software I'd like to use, before I buy a computer.

I've never chosen a computer, and then tried to find a program to make use of the computer.

But, otherwise, there is no required software. Just use the computer to do whatever you want.

wishxmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
Turkey
Thanks for reply. I know general programs which ı am using on pc too. I meaned some exclusive applications for Mac which People Love. Also you can advice somethings for person who will use macbook first.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
No real "must-haves", imo - MacOS comes with a lot of great software. All I added was Pixelmator for basic image editing and Tunnelblick for VPN. Of course it depends on what you need and want.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
really, there's so much covered in the included apps. so... work with it, see what you think you might be missing... then ask the community here (or google) for apps that fill in that need. and welcome to mac os!

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Office 365 (for MS Office, of course)
Network Speed Monitor
iStat Menus
Battery Health (or CoconutBattery)
VLC Player (for MKV files)
SmartConverter (to convert video files)
Transmission (for torrent)
The Unarchiver (for zip/rar files)

Other than that, you don't need much really, if you purchased your MB for light work & casual use

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Hi All Dear Friends;

I Ordered 2016 Macbook 12 İnch, guess it will come tomorrow.
I didnt use Macbook before never in my life, will be first.

Which applications or programs I must download for Mac? I wanted your advice.

Also you can advise anything important.

Thanks all, Sorry for my bad english.

RMBwin.jpg

The must-have Macbook app is Windows 10.

No joke, my 12" RMB has run Windows 10 since Day 1, it's been over a year with no issues, I'm a Windows guy, I have all the necessary and expensive Windows apps like Office, I have no use for Mac OS and don't want to run it, never have. My Macbook boots to Windows, I wind up with the great thin/light Apple hardware and all the Microsoft software I'm comfortable with.

My advice to you is to install Windows 10 as your first app and avoid Mac OS entirely.

BJ

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT

My advice to you is to install Windows 10 as your first app and avoid Mac OS entirely.

BJ
Cool troll. I have Win10 on my 2016 15" MBP (bootcamp). I cannot STAND how poor the trackpad performance is. How do you deal with it?

Cursor speed is way too fast, even turned to the slowest setting.
Click and drag with two fingers (i.e. to crop a photo) doesn't work.
"Natural" scrolling resets on every reboot (have to use registry hacks that don't stick)
And so on. Just feels very poorly supported.

Also, I could never install Windows on my Macbook 2016 via bootcamp. I don't recall the exact issue, but it simply would not work for some reason.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Cool troll. I have Win10 on my 2016 15" MBP (bootcamp). I cannot STAND how poor the trackpad performance is. How do you deal with it?

Cursor speed is way too fast, even turned to the slowest setting.
Click and drag with two fingers (i.e. to crop a photo) doesn't work.
"Natural" scrolling resets on every reboot (have to use registry hacks that don't stick)
And so on. Just feels very poorly supported.

Also, I could never install Windows on my Macbook 2016 via bootcamp. I don't recall the exact issue, but it simply would not work for some reason.

Trackpad: You have a different Macbook, my RMB has a trackpad that is brilliant, I have no issues with it nor I suspect would the OP who has the same device as me.

Gestures: For those of us with no Macbook experience, like the OP and I, we don't know what trackpad gestures the Macbook offers. For us, we don't lose anything, we retain all the Windows trackpad functionality we are used to and comfortable with.

Bootcamp Install: If one seeks the instructions online and follows them to the letter, the installation goes smoothy. Sequencing is the most important thing, you need to update the Bootcamp drivers on the Mac side before the Windows install takes place and then do it again after the install takes place. You also need a wired connection to the internet and a notebook that is plugged in to a power supply. The install can hang for a very lengthy period if you have battery power and only a wi-fi connection.

Motivation: I am not lobbying for MacOS users to defect to the Windows platform. I am merely recommending to the OP who is comfortable in the Windows OS that he consider remaining with the Windows experience as it would alleviate his concerns and avoid the learning curve of the new OS. This is what I did and I couldn't be happier. Sony used to make the most elegant thin/light Windows notebook and they sold the business. The Macbook is now the best Windows notebook out there, just takes the extra step of installing the operating system.

BJ

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm a long-time Windows guy too (it's what we use at work and what I learned on), but I forbade myself from putting Windows on my MacBook, which we purchased late last year for home. This is our very first Mac. We've been exclusively on iOS devices since they first came out, and I thought it was time to get our home computer into the Apple ecosystem as well.

I admit it was harder to transition to MacOS than I expected, but that's because I'm a Windows power-user and am very adept at all the keyboard shortcuts and other tricks. None of those work the same in MacOS. But taking it a step at a time and using Google to find and learn all the tricks on the Mac, now I'm pretty comfortable, and I think MacOS is really nice in a lot of ways. And I wanted a pure Mac experience with minimal bloat.

Reactions: Precursor

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I admit it was harder to transition to MacOS than I expected, but that's because I'm a Windows power-user and am very adept at all the keyboard shortcuts and other tricks.

I'm the same way- I have every Apple iOS device ever made, we have Apple TV's in every room, but I find that my notebook doesn't have the need to be in the same ecosystem. It would if Apple didn't make iTunes For Windows but they do and that's all that is necessary for me. Apps don't cross over, I've got web-based email and Dropbox for files, so only the media is a challenge. So with iTunes sending my music library and my home movies to my HDTV I'm all set there, the iPhone can mirror to the Apple TV as well.

Point being I've found that I can retain my Windows 10 mastery and not need to put on the training wheels to learn MacOS. With Bootcamp I can toggle between both operating systems on my RMB if I wanted to, but I find I don't need to so I just don't bother.

BJ

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
Money Pro is a great app. Little pricy but it has a corresponding iOS app and family cloud sync.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
The more important question is what not to install. The answer is any application that you can't live without. In particular, never install any applications that "scan", "optimize", "clean", "monitor", give "stats" or "heath", or that replace built in OS functionality like search or launching applications. Any and all application that falls into this definition will eventually cause problems with the stability and performance of your Mac and are completely unnecessary.

And the most important of all, is NEVER install 3rd party security software on your Mac (i.e. antivirus). Doing so WILL cause problems with your Mac and actually has the potential to add vulnerabilities to your Mac that were not present in the already secure OS.

Reactions: wishxmaster

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Trackpad: You have a different Macbook, my RMB has a trackpad that is brilliant
BJ
I have a 2016 Macbook, just as you pictured, as well. Trackpad is brilliant in macOS, terrible with Win10 Pro (I managed to get it to install on my Macbook)...

Tracking is way too fast, jerky and I have to continually fight changing the scroll direction to "natural."

Share your secrets for milky smoothness in Windows.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Share your secrets for milky smoothness in Windows.

I did nothing special other than follow the Bootcamp instructions to the letter. Sequencing matters. Update Bootcamp in MacOS before the Windows install and then again thereafter. An unsuccesful install causes problems, you can't correct it, you have to try again from scratch. I did not have a problematic install and my trackpad works great in Windows 10.

I don't use them, but there are Windows apps for trackpad enhancement, you may want to try those. The most popular for Bootcamp is called Trackpad++ which also adds the Mac gestures you are concerned about:

http://www.windowscentral.com/get-gestures-windows-10-macbook

BJ

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Cool, thanks. I'm not concerned with the gestures...it's the super fast tracking and difficulty clicking, holding with one finger, and dragging (selecting files, for example). It just doesn't feel natural and smooth. I'll look into it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Cool, thanks. I'm not concerned with the gestures...it's the super fast tracking and difficulty clicking, holding with one finger, and dragging (selecting files, for example). It just doesn't feel natural and smooth. I'll look into it.

I find a Bluetooth mouse is very helpful, Microsoft makes one that is incredibly light and compact and I carry it all the time. I use it for most of my work applications, I use the trackpad solo for light stuff like email and surfing.

The Apple subforum for Boot Camp is very useful, you may want to check it out for Windows install and configuration.

BJ

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
RMBwin.jpg

No joke, my 12" RMB has run Windows 10 since Day 1, it's been over a year with no issues, I'm a Windows guy, I have all the necessary and expensive Windows apps like Office, I have no use for Mac OS and don't want to run it, never have. My Macbook boots to Windows, I wind up with the great thin/light Apple hardware and all the Microsoft software I'm comfortable with.

BJ

Oh My Gosh!

Reactions: boltjames

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I find a Bluetooth mouse is very helpful, Microsoft makes one that is incredibly light and compact and I carry it all the time. I use it for most of my work applications, I use the trackpad solo for light stuff like email and surfing.

The Apple subforum for Boot Camp is very useful, you may want to check it out for Windows install and configuration.

BJ
So an external mouse fixes it? Well no kidding.

And I've combed the forums, both basic and highly technical. It's not user error, it just doesn't work that well. Apple supports Windows in that the basics function, the end. No optimization like in OS X/macOS. I just can't go full time with Windows on a mac because of the janky mouse functionality. My personal opinion anyway.

But thanks.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So an external mouse fixes it? Well no kidding.

And I've combed the forums, both basic and highly technical. It's not user error, it just doesn't work that well. Apple supports Windows in that the basics function, the end. No optimization like in OS X/macOS. I just can't go full time with Windows on a mac because of the janky mouse functionality. My personal opinion anyway.

But thanks.

The trackpad on my RMB running Windows 10 works flawlessly.

BJ

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
The trackpad on my RMB running Windows 10 works flawlessly.

BJ

Honest question: works flawlessly as compared to trackpads on other Windows laptops, or works flawlessly as compared to how the trackpad works in macOS?

I ask only because you say often that you never touched macOS, installed Windows immediately, and that you have no use for macOS.

In my experience, the trackpad experience is THE reason for going with macOS. It was an unexpected revelation when I got my first Mac in 2011 (after 15 years of awful laptop trackpads), and it's the reason I'll never go back for my personal use. I hate that I have to use Windows at work every day.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Honest question: works flawlessly as compared to trackpads on other Windows laptops, or works flawlessly as compared to how the trackpad works in macOS?

I ask only because you say often that you never touched macOS, installed Windows immediately, and that you have no use for macOS.

In my experience, the trackpad experience is THE reason for going with macOS. It was an unexpected revelation when I got my first Mac in 2011 (after 15 years of awful laptop trackpads), and it's the reason I'll never go back for my personal use. I hate that I have to use Windows at work every day.

Two things in play here.

First is someone saying that the trackpad is glitchy in Windows on a RMB. I do not find that to be the case. I had a smooth Boot Camp install as I followed the instructions, am running the latest drivers, etc. All is fine, the trackpad on my RMB is no different than any other Windows machine I have ever used.

Second is someone saying that trackpad gestures are more elaborate in MacOS. I have never used MacOS so I can't comment on that other than to say that there are free Windows programs that are said to bring that degree of gesture sophistication to Windows 10 on a Mac, they were written for that specific purpose, I mention the URL earlier in this thread.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.