Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hello all,

I am a relatively young attorney that is looking for a recommendation on a bluetooth keyboard to use with my newly acquired iPad Pro 12.9" (2017).

Until now, I've been carrying my 13" MBP (2015) and my files in a Saddleback Large classic briefcase. However, I picked up the iPP 12.9 due to the built-in LTE and the fact that I've moved to being 99% paperless (aside from original wills, deed, etc.).

Anyway, I have an older Apple Wireless keyboard (AA battery mode), but it keeps draining batteries because it gets activated in the briefcase whenever touched.

I am also looking for a lighter bag for Monday & Fridays (fewer hearings & meetings), but still able to hold things as large as the iPP. I do not want a small tablet bag that looks like a satchel. I would prefer something less than $200 for the bag. Leather would be ideal, but I know that this price point is tough to get anything full grain. Bag would carry the iPP 12.9 + charger + keyboard +a few small files (>75 pieces of paper max).

Regarding the recommendations on a better keyboard that won't require AA batteries, I do NOT want an Apple Smart Keyboard or the Logitech Create option.

Looking for something light and reliable (keyboard).

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hello all,

I am a relatively young attorney that is looking for a recommendation on a bluetooth keyboard to use with my newly acquired iPad Pro 12.9" (2017).

Until now, I've been carrying my 13" MBP (2015) and my files in a Saddleback Large classic briefcase. However, I picked up the iPP 12.9 due to the built-in LTE and the fact that I've moved to being 99% paperless (aside from original wills, deed, etc.).

Anyway, I have an older Apple Wireless keyboard (AA battery mode), but it keeps draining batteries because it gets activated in the briefcase whenever touched.

I am also looking for a lighter bag for Monday & Fridays (fewer hearings & meetings). I would prefer something less than $200 for the bag.

Regarding the recommendations on a better keyboard that won't require AA batteries, I do NOT want an Apple Smart Keyboard or the Logitech Create option.

Looking for something light and reliable.
Peak Design 5L Sling & iPad 10.5?
bag for macbook pro and iPad Pro?
iPad Pro 10.5 Bag
iPad Pro Looking for case, protector and bag
Smaller size messenger bag?
Perfect Cheap iPad Pro bag

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
The magic keyboard and the studio neat canopy might fit the bill for you. The magic keyboard can be powered off, and recharged with a lightning cable.

Reactions: boston04and07

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Doesn’t the old Apple keyboard allow you to turn it off by pressing & holding the button opposite the end where the batteries go in? Then you do the same to turn it back on. I’d just do that when you throw it in your bag. Those keyboards are pretty fantastic to type on.

I also have a Logitech k830 or something like that which has an on off switch on the side which is nice for putting in a bag.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Doesn’t the old Apple keyboard allow you to turn it off by pressing & holding the button opposite the end where the batteries go in? Then you do the same to turn it back on. I’d just do that when you throw it in your bag. Those keyboards are pretty fantastic to type on.

I also have a Logitech k830 or something like that which has an on off switch on the side which is nice for putting in a bag.

Not exactly. You can turn it off this way, but a single keystroke on the Keyboard turns it back on.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Not exactly. You can turn it off this way, but a single keystroke on the Keyboard turns it back on.
Dang it. I found the model number for the other keyboard I have & it's a Logitech K810 (they have both windows & Mac layouts). I like it as an iPad keyboard because it still looks pretty nice (unlike a lot of Logitech's recent keyboards, it can connect to up to three devices, so you can just hit a button to go between them, it has an easily accessible on/off switch & the key feel is similar to the older MacBooks with the chicklet style keys, which I liked a lot.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Another vote here for the newer Apple Magic Keyboard and Studio Neat Canopy. A great alternative, however, is the Logitech K380 - excellent to type on, very inexpensive and pairs to 3 devices, terrific for switching between your iPad and iPhone on the fly.

The Zagg Messenger Universal is also a great choice as the dimensions fit the 12.9 perfectly. It’s not too pricey at RRP - more money to put towards your full grain bag ;) - and can be picked up really cheap brand new on eBay and Amazon.

If lightness/portability is also important to you, check out the Logitech Keys to Go. Ludicrously slim and light, although it may not be ideal for extended typing periods. All of these options have physical on/off switches so they cannot be accidentally activated in a bag.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Another vote here for the newer Apple Magic Keyboard and Studio Neat Canopy. A great alternative, however, is the Logitech K380 - excellent to type on, very inexpensive and pairs to 3 devices, terrific for switching between your iPad and iPhone on the fly.

The Zagg Messenger Universal is also a great choice as the dimensions fit the 12.9 perfectly. It’s not too pricey at RRP - more money to put towards your full grain bag ;) - and can be picked up really cheap brand new on eBay and Amazon.

If lightness/portability is also important to you, check out the Logitech Keys to Go. Ludicrously slim and light, although it may not be ideal for extended typing periods. All of these options have physical on/off switches so they cannot be accidentally activated in a bag.

Agree on the K380 - I use it with my laptop/monitor setup and 10.5" iPP. Excellent keyboard.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I love the newer Magic Keyboard. It has a manual on/off switch so carrying it in your bag shouldn’t be a problem. I carry mine around a lot and it’s defintely much thinner and lighter than the previous generation. I don’t even notice it when it’s in my bag alongside my iPad. Plus it uses the same cable as the iPad itself to charge. Using it every day I find I only need to charge it every few months or so anyway.

I think it’s a pretty good alternative for people who don’t care for the feel or style of the Smart Keyboard.

urbancity

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
I am using the Logitech Keys To Go.

Super compact and actually surprisingly nice to type on.

I sandwich it between the cover and the iPad screen when i am on the go.

davchun

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2018
Logitech K811 is a pretty great keyboard. I can type at around the same speed as I do on my mechanical keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.