Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I just bought a Canon Powershot G10, and I really like it a lot. But I am just a beginner photographer and I don't really know how to use all the manual functions. I was thinking of returning it and buying a Samsung NV24HD instead. The NV24HD can record HD video, which is a huge plus for me.

The NV24HD is much cheaper than the G10. I really want to keep my G10, but I don't know if I can justify the price difference. Are the G10's pictures THAT much higher quality than the NV24HDs?

Please let me know any opinions any of you have. Thank you.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the response. I probably should return it. Such a shame though since I like it so much. I already have an SD800 and an SD1100 (I buy camears like some people on this forum buy macbooks). I actually just sold me 800 to a friend. The SD1100's pictures don't feel good to me. They feel off for some reason. I want a camera that takes really good quality photos. Do you know any point-and-shoots that are exceptional at that?

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the response. I probably should return it. Such a shame though since I like it so much. I already have an SD800 and an SD1100 (I buy camears like some people on this forum buy macbooks). I actually just sold me 800 to a friend. The SD1100's pictures don't feel good to me. They feel off for some reason. I want a camera that takes really good quality photos. Do you know any point-and-shoots that are exceptional at that?

Try something in the Canon SX series. Those border between the consumer and prosumer market. I don't own one myself, but I hear they are pretty good.

If you want a non-Canon, try something in the Nikon P-series. I'll tell you right here that the L-series sucks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Before you do consider this.
Side by side G10 and the Samsung.

The zoom on the G10 is 28mm - 140mm whereas the zoom on the Samsung is 24mm - 87mm.

I believe the auto focus on the G10 is better, a 9 point AF is better than "multi-point" that is generally unspecified on the NV24HD.

The G10 has manual focus whereas the NV24HD does not. This may not matter to you. It matters to me.

The macro focus on the NV24HD is not great at 5 cm. That's a bit far. The G10 is 1 cm.

The G10 accepts an external flash the NV24HD does not.

Personally the G10 wins due to the RAW format capability. The NV24HD was not a contender for me after learning it didn't shoot RAW. Understand I use the G10 as a wander about camera, but I can't lose some of the control I'd have with my DSLRs.

The G10 also has an optical viewfinder. This doesn't matter to most. The LCD on the G10 is larger with more pixels as well. But all of this comes at a price, monetarily and size wise. Weighing in at nearly twice the weight of the NV24HD, that's a big difference. However, the G10 accepts accessory lenses and filters so the choice is yours.

Frankly I find the G10 to be in a few classes above the Samsung, image quality wise, I think you'll find similar shots from both. The Samsung's effective pixels are 10.2 with a 36 MP/cm² pixel density versus the G10's 34 MP/cm²'s.

Overall, I think you should do a bit more research here before you return the G10. I happen to love my G9 and wouldn't trade it for the NV2HD.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Personally I'd keep the G10 and grow into it. It'll take great pictures right now on full-auto and as you want to experiment more, play with different things and learn and grow it'll be able to support that too.

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
I agree, keep it. The auto functions are fine for a point and shoot. You have all the functionality you would get on a simpler camera. But, and this is why I would keep it, it will last forever and as you learn and get better and need for functions you just use them. They are all there. Eventually you will want a DSLR and then the G10 will be your second camera when you need lighter and simpler.

Hope this helps

ps I have the G10 and love it as you may have guessed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.