Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Sorry for making a new thread when I could just continue in the older thread I made, but my primary question has changed drastically enough that I think that the thread title doesn't make as much sense anymore.

I've been looking at getting a new camera for the past few weeks and I've pretty much decided on getting an SLR. Problem is, I'm having problems choosing between Canon or Nikon (I already have a preference in terms of which brand's camera body I prefer, but that's not the issue I have at hand). People keep saying that I can't really go wrong with either system, but at the same time, people keep saying it's the camera system that matters the most, which is somewhat frustrating and confusing for me.

So in the end, I guess my question would be, as far as types of picture types, which system comes out stronger than the other?

Actually this could probably be helpful for other people in the same boat as me, being people upgrading from a point-and-shoot to a dSLR. Between Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus/Panasonic, and Pentax, what are the strong suits for each system?

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Well, what do want to shoot. Marco, Landscapes, Portrait or Nature? Maybe even a combination? This is what will determine you decision. Do you want expensive lenses or Relatively affordable ones?

If you want to shoot nature your going to need a Telephoto which Canon and Nikon are best. Everyone has Macro covered. I do some research yourself. It can be a lot of research no one can make the decision for you, it takes some work on your part. Only you know what you want to shoot.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, I usually take spontaneous day-to-day and scenery. I'm finally starting to find some specifics, though; I'm seeing some comments saying that Nikons are better suited for landscapes, is this really the case? But then again, I don't really know where to look, googling "Canon vs Nikon" tends to give me body vs body or lens vs lens info, not so much about lens system vs lens system. I don't really know where (or how) to get info on the grand scheme of things.

I've been reading dpreview stuff so much my roommates are starting to think I have a camera fetish.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Well, I usually take spontaneous day-to-day and scenery. I'm finally starting to find some specifics, though; I'm seeing some comments saying that Nikons are better suited for landscapes, is this really the case? But then again, I don't really know where to look, googling "Canon vs Nikon" tends to give me body vs body info, not so much about lens system vs lens system.

I've been reading dpreview stuff so much my roommates are starting to think I have a camera fetish.

To be honest at the end of the day. It's better to just pick one you can't go wrong. If you wait to long you'll never get one. You can't buy a bad camera or system theses days.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In the end either system will work as well as the other. But you will be locked into what ever brand you start with so think about the brands. Nikon tends to be more conservative and they try out new stuff with the lower end consumer bodies first before putting it in their pro equipment. Notice that video was introduced in the D90, (not in a high end pro camera) by Nikon. Canon is always first with high tech stuff some of which is good and some does not pan out, remember the eye controled view finders?

One thing NOT to do is fall for the trap where people think "the pros all use brand X, therefor I will buy brand X too". The problem is the the pros are using the $7,000 high end camera from brand X and you will be looking at the sub $1,000 model. It is like saying "Corvettes are fast cars so I will buy a Chey."

The thing to do is figure out the kit of equipment that you might like to own in five years and look which brand is best. Maybe look at the used markets and see if you can sell and buy used gear

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Both are great systems, but they have their differences when it comes to some lenses. For example, my main reason to go with Canon was the MP-E 65mm 1x-5x macro lens, a lens that's not available for any other system. This is a very specialized lens, mind you, only for taking extreme macros (which is my thing). On the other hand, Nikon has the only VR macro lens I know of.

If you already know which type of pics you take, then see which system offers the best lenses for your focal lengths in terms of price/quality. FredMiranda.com has some lens reviews you can check out.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
See, that's the thing. There are differences between the Big Two - but basically they're not going to matter to the vast majority of people.

You say you've got a preference regarding which body you prefer. GO WITH THAT ONE. Seriously, you'll take equally good pictures with either camera (or Pentax, or Sony, or Olympus for that matter).

Note that, whichever way you go, there will likely always be one or two features be on the next generation camera from the other guy that'll make you go "ooh, I wish my brand did that". It's just the luck of the draw. If you go with Canon, you may someday wish you had Nikon's autofocus or Creative Lighting System. If you go with Nikon, you may wish you could get one of those nice f/4 zooms Canon offers. But what you WON'T do is take any better pictures with one camera brand or the other.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem!

I was going to get the Nikon D40 but now the D60 is only $100 more so I was leaning towards that one because it comes with the VR lens and has a couple of extra features that I would like (Active D-Lighting for one) for only a little more. But now, I'm thinking of a Canon XSi because it has AEB which is important for me because I want to get into HDR photography. But, the XSi is $200 more than the D60. Cost is an issue for me.

My plans are to shoot more landscape and low-light stuff which is always what's more appealing to me anyway. So if I may introduce another wrench into this thread, which is the better low-light camera? The D60 or XSi? Also how important is AEB? Or, am I missing something altogether? Also, overall, who's glass, in the long run, will be more expensive?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I was going to get the Nikon D40 but now the D60 is only $100 more so I was leaning towards that one because it comes with the VR lens and has a couple of extra features that I would like (Active D-Lighting for one) for only a little more. But now, I'm thinking of a Canon XSi because it has AEB which is important for me because I want to get into HDR photography. But, the XSi is $200 more than the D60. Cost is an issue for me.

My plans are to shoot more landscape and low-light stuff which is always what's more appealing to me anyway. So if I may introduce another wrench into this thread, which is the better low-light camera? The D60 or XSi? Also how important is AEB? Or, am I missing something altogether? Also, overall, who's glass, in the long run, will be more expensive?

If AEB is really a huge deal (is it that difficult to just adjust the exposure manually?) then go for the D80, its going for about $500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.