Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I cannot decide which camera to purchase.

Should I get the Canon Powershot SD 780 is, or the Samsung SL820?

They both do HD 780, both are 12MP, both are apprx $250, both are ISO 3200. The Samsung does have a slightly better zoom, at 5X, and the Canon has a 3X. However in the past I've always loved Canon cameras and I've owned a few. I've never owned a Samsung Camera so I don't really know how good they are. What do you guys think is the better camera, and why?

Canon Link:http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183

Samsung Link: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...eras&subtype=slseries&model_cd=EC-SL820SBP/US

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I cannot say this enough, Canon's P&Ss are by far the leaders in my opinion. I had a Nikon and it was bad. I'll stick to Nikon SLRs and DSLRs thank you. I owned a Samsung and after exactly 350 photos it suddenly would not AF (crucial in a P&S that has no manual focus). Samsung would not replace or repair.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I just got the Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS (one model down from the SD780 IS) and I really like it. Definitely go with Canon... they are the best.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
megapixels and high-ISOs on point-&-shoots are marketing gimmicks, nothing more. image stabilization (IS) is actually useful.

RoninXI

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2006
Vermilion, Ohio
Samsung

CHoosing between the 2 i choose the Samsung. Looking at both sites I found...

1) Samsung 1/2000 vs Canon 1/1500. Because my hands do and always will shake I need it to take the shot faster and still has a stabilizer (actually both do) which helps but is not a guarantee.

2) Samsung has a larger screen, I like using the screen personally. Again, I do not have steady hands and never will so holding it out is easier for me. If you prefer the view finder this won't matter much since the preview won't really show any small artifacts any way.

3) 5x zoom on the Samsung vs. 4x on the Canon.

I have never had any issues with other products from either company so saying 1 will have issues first is too hard for me to comment on. That said that Lumix looks really nice too.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
CHoosing between the 2 i choose the Samsung. Looking at both sites I found...

1) Samsung 1/2000 vs Canon 1/1500. Because my hands do and always will shake I need it to take the shot faster and still has a stabilizer (actually both do) which helps but is not a guarantee.

2) Samsung has a larger screen, I like using the screen personally. Again, I do not have steady hands and never will so holding it out is easier for me. If you prefer the view finder this won't matter much since the preview won't really show any small artifacts any way.

3) 5x zoom on the Samsung vs. 4x on the Canon.

I have never had any issues with other products from either company so saying 1 will have issues first is too hard for me to comment on. That said that Lumix looks really nice too.

Thanks for your input.

Also I don't really like that Lumix. It just looks cheap to me, and I'm not a fan of Panasonic Cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.