Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

I have an Olympus SP-500UZ (10x zoom, 6mp) and I couldn't be any happier with it. A friend of mine has had multiple Olympus Cameras (previous models of my camera) and she absolutely loves them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd get the model with the most manual controls. My other criteria is that the camera is sturdy and built well, because my point and shoot is a "take anywhere" camera that will be at the beach, in pubs, parties, etc.

Why these 2 things? Because I think they're both going to be approximately the same in terms of photo quality, so things like manual features, easy to use interface (menus, etc) will make the difference.

Oh, and since I went to that Kodak website you linked to in order to read more about it (ie: something like this page here), and thought the webpage was a mess, I'd suggest the Olympus first. :p I was trying to find out more details about the dual lens technology they use, and found a link at the bottom of the "V570 Imaging Technology" webpage that links to another page not listed to the side. If their UI is as messy as their website, I'd go crazy and wouldn't bother.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Look before you leap.
Visit dpreview.com, dcresource.com, imaging-resource.com, etc. for reviews of the most popular cameras.
I think you'll find the Kodak, Olympus, and Panasonic are said to be well-built but lacking in image quality compared to Fuji or Canon.
Personally, I would concentrate on something like a Fuji F10, F11 or F30, or a Canon A-series, like an A540, A610, A620 or A700. Canon is expected to release a new set of cameras soon, perhaps as early as next week.

One of the most useful sites is this one, where you can directly compare images from most cameras: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=1

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Hey guys.

Thanks for all the replys. I went ahead and bought the Kodak after having my friend who has a lower model Kodak take some pictures and a video for me to see how the quality was. I must say I thought it was pretty good.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I would've recommended a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 or Fuji Finepix F30 personally, but...if you're satisfied with kodak, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
form said:
I would've recommended a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 or Fuji Finepix F30 personally, but...if you're satisfied with kodak, then I guess it doesn't matter.

I would second the Sony p-200. I use DSLR, but when I made recent school trip that lasted a month or so, the SLR was extra weight and too noticeable. I went to my Sams club and decided upon the P-200. I found that the P-200 performed very well for a point and shoot with images crips and well exposed. Outdoor shots make tend to overexpose the sky, which is remedied by adjusting the exposure meter.

200 bucks for that camera I tell ya! That is quite a steal!

Ahem! Enjoy the Kodak purchase though. I'm sure it is an excellent camera. I have used a few models over the years and they perform well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.