Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Does anybody know what version of DisplayPort the new 2018 mbp supports (particularly the 15” high end)? 1.3, 1.4? I can’t seem to find this info.

On that note can anybody tell me what DisplayPort version the current 2017 model supports? Last I heard mbp only supported dp 1.2. I read that thunderbolt 3 was since then updated to dp 1.3 but I can’t verify whether or not the mbp received that update.

Source would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Does anybody know what version of DisplayPort the new 2018 mbp supports (particularly the 15” high end)? 1.3, 1.4? I can’t seem to find this info.

Unless Apple used the recently introduced / soon to be introduced Titan Ridge interface chips, then it is DP 1.2, the same as the 2017's. The two and a half year old Alpine Ridge chips only support DP 1.2 for DP passthrough to the USB-C connector. In Thunderbolt mode, the Alpine Ridge chips can package up two DP 1.2 streams into one TB3 connection thus feeding a 5K MST display via one cable.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Unless Apple used the recently introduced / soon to be introduced Titan Ridge interface chips, then it is DP 1.2, the same as the 2017's. The two and a half year old Alpine Ridge chips only support DP 1.2 for DP passthrough to the USB-C connector. In Thunderbolt mode, the Alpine Ridge chips can package up two DP 1.2 streams into one TB3 connection thus feeding a 5K MST display via one cable.

More complicated than I thought, but that clears it up, thanks.

I read titan ridge is 1.4. So 1.3 was completely skipped over?

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Seems the July 2018 release of the Lenovo P52 included a Titan Ridge JHL7540 controller (possibly the first laptop manufacturer to include one), so hopefully Apple managed to also test and include these new DP 1.4 capable chips in time for the 2018 refresh.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Seems the July 2018 release of the Lenovo P52 included a Titan Ridge JHL7540 controller (possibly the first laptop manufacturer to include one), so hopefully Apple managed to also test and include these new DP 1.4 capable chips in time for the 2018 refresh.

Hopefully. Do you know what’s a good site that will verify this once the 2018 mbps start getting delivered?

According to this topic of egpu.io forum, the egpu controller that was released along with the new macbooks pro is the new Titan Ridge that supports displayport 1.4

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-...n-pro-580-thunderbolt-3-enclosure/#post-39923

I wasn’t able to find where it says this. Could you quote that part? I’m curious as to how they know. Do they have a new mbp in hand already?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I agree with subjonas, great news, thanks for posting that. I'm wondering a bit why Apple doesn't advertise that themselves since it seems like a reasonable step-up as there are some nice displays out there who go the path via DP 1.4 instead of Thunderbolt 3 for high resolutions, though I suppose Apple doesn't want to detract from Thunderbolt 3 as their connectivity interface of choice so that might be a reason. What matters is that we do have DP 1.4 with the new machines.

Actually the more I hear about these new machines, the happier I am that I held off for the last several months with a purchase. Watched GregsGadgets' YouTube review for the 15" model earlier today where he said that the 2018 15" model might last 30-60 minutes longer in everyday usage compared to the 2017 model, which is another decent news (though it probably should be taken with a grain of salt until more people confirm this experience).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.