Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichelJNilsson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Hi,

I've just joined the site so that I could post this question. I need to upgrade my computer (home office, freelance designer). I currently use a 21" 2009 iMac and 15" 2009 MBP. I have decided to 'retire' the iMac and keep the 15" as a computer for the wife. So, I have decided to purchase another MacBook Pro. I like the flexibility of being able to pick it up and go to a meeting with a client. But I also want a larger screen. So my thinking is - buy a refurbished 2017 MBP and a 27" monitor to use with it. My question is - what monitor would you consider? My budget for the screen is up to $500 and it needs to be 27". The models I have been looking at so far are (in no particular order):

- LG 27MU88
- AOC Q2790PQU
- Samsung UE590

I would be open to other suggestions from members too!

The screen will have to work with this:
15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display (June 2017)

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Do you have the opportunity to see any of these in real life? I personally find it easier to make monitor decisions, seeing them in real life.

MichelJNilsson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Do you have the opportunity to see any of these in real life? I personally find it easier to make monitor decisions, seeing them in real life.

Hi Cobra, I haven't considered this aspect of the purchase but a valid point! I'm not sure TBH. Possibly - it depends on stock in local stores (Dublin, Ireland) and obviously, if the monitor is a recent model or not. I also think that my specific needs (colour accuracy and vibrancy, blackness correctness etc.) may not be the main setup for display models so what I see in-store may not be the output I'd be looking for, once purchased.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have been a happy user of a Dell P2715Q for perhaps 2 years. It's 4K, but I run it at 1440p - tarp sharp and makes the Dell 24-inch sitting next to it (connected to a different computer) look like mush. I think they've come down quite a bit in price. It's connected to my late 2013 15-MBP.

MichelJNilsson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
I have been a happy user of a Dell P2715Q for perhaps 2 years. It's 4K, but I run it at 1440p - tarp sharp and makes the Dell 24-inch sitting next to it (connected to a different computer) look like mush. I think they've come down quite a bit in price. It's connected to my late 2013 15-MBP.

Thanks Kohlson. I had a quick look online and whilst the screen looks good and gets good reviews from c|net, there doesn't seem to be any Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the screen, which means I would need an adapter to connect it to a new 2017 Macbook Pro. Probably not a huge deal but I'd still prefer to connect using just a single cable.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Thanks Kohlson. I had a quick look online and whilst the screen looks good and gets good reviews from c|net, there doesn't seem to be any Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the screen, which means I would need an adapter to connect it to a new 2017 Macbook Pro. Probably not a huge deal but I'd still prefer to connect using just a single cable.
I dislike adapters when I can just get a cable to do the same thing, especially for a use case like this.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLR62ZM/A/moshi-usb-c-to-displayport-cable

I, too, like the P2715Q. I think you will find that your options look much better when you consider all monitors and not just ones with USB-C or Thunderbolt 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.