Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
I have a Macbook Pro (v. 4.1 from 2008) with a 17" screen at 1920x1200. Because I'm doing a lot of photo work on it, I'm thinking of buying a large(r) external screen. Both because it makes everything bigger and thus better viewable (especially smaller details) and also because the Macbook's screen is lighter on the sides (gray cast instead of black). I know there's a technical description for this kind of problem, but I can't remember it.

Anyway, what screen would you guys advice? Apple new Cinema Display can't connect to my old DVI port I believe? I've heard there's a convertor, but using it has some disadvantage'(s), I've been told once. Can't remember which? Something to do with speed or resolution I believe? Also, it's not the cheapest monitor around. What other brands have quality screens, which work great with Macbooks? I'm not looking for the very best, super-calibrated pro monitors, but I'm hoping to get high quality, at least higher quality than the Macbook's screen.

Can anyone advice me interesting manufactureres and models?

Thanks a lot!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Go to this web site
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php

Then type "Apple" into the search box. It will tell you which LCD screen apple uses in their 30" ACD. (The answer is a Philips LM300W01 panel)

ext serch the database for other monitors that use this same Pannel. You will find four other models from Del and others.

What you want is a good IPS screen with a matt finish. and then as big as you can afford.

ALSO: Buy a hardware colorimeter and calibrate the screen. It's a waste of time and money to work on an un-calibrated screen.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Wow, interesting, I had no idea about this.

Btw, what's an IPS panel based LCD unit?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Wow, interesting, I had no idea about this.

Btw, what's an IPS panel based LCD unit?

IPS is a different (and more expensive) panel technology than the normal (cheap) TN based panels.

I just picked up a Dell U2410 (they are on sale now) and it looks damn good, I am impressed. There are a ton of threads on here recommending this monitor as a good price/performance deal.

Check out http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ for answers to more questions.

Good luck.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Yes, the Dell U2410 looks very promising. Can you use it with a closed Macbook (I think it's called mirroring) ?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
MBP should be able to drive it when closed (clamshell mode). I don't have external keyboard so I don't know, my computer is always open. Your computer is about the same vintage as mine which means it can drive the 30" (2560x1600)

Mirroring is when the external monitor displays the same as the laptop (think of a presentation where the external monitor is a projector). Personally I always setup spanning so I have as much useful space as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.