Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which features tempt you to upgrade your iPhone?

• Faster processor/performance

• Better screen

• Anything new (I love the latest and greatest)

• Hardware bug fixes

• Other features (please specify below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If Apple were just updating to the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus this year I probably wouldn't bother upgrading from my iPhone 7, with the rumoured iPhone 8 having OLED, bezel less design, going back to the glass and metal (like the iPhone 4s) design, facial recognition system, 3D sensing camera with AR capabilities and just about every other feature that has been rumoured so far, I'm willing to buy the iPhone 8 since it will be a big jump from the 7! If all of those features are in fact true I'm willing to pay the rumoured £1000 premium for the iPhone 8.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
1. Screen to body ratio like the G6/S8.
2. Apple Pay that works with all magnetic stripe readers (not just NFC).
3. 24 hour battery life.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Better screen...OLED. But in the smaller size - 4.7" or even better, about 4.4".

With all the rumors floating arounod, the new design iPhone is shaping up to be less-than-stellar.

I was sitting this year out anyway because the smaller size phone wasn't getting the new screen.

Reactions: janeauburn

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
4" (or even 3,5"!), better battery, 2nd gen touch ID, more storage, great camera. (So I guess I will have to wait a while for this... :D)

Reactions: janeauburn

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Better screen...OLED. But in the smaller size - 4.7" or even better, about 4.4".

With all the rumors floating arounod, the new design iPhone is shaping up to be less-than-stellar.

I was sitting this year out anyway because the smaller size phone wasn't getting the new screen.

The OLED model is only for the iPhone 8 (if that's what they end up calling it) which will be 5.8" not 4.7" the iPhone 7s will be the 4.7" but will not have OLED. This has all been mentioned in leaks/rumours.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The OLED model is only for the iPhone 8 (if that's what they end up calling it) which will be 5.8" not 4.7" the iPhone 7s will be the 4.7" but will not have OLED. This has all been mentioned in leaks/rumours.

You're stating what I already know...eg. this year, I'm out.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You're stating what I already know...eg. this year, I'm out.

Fair enough, I'm just not sure they will put OLED in next years 4.7" it could be that it's reserved for this "Pro" version for a couple of years or so. If they are announcing 3 iPhones this year, presumably they will be doing the same next year in order to update the 8/Pro.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I am using an iPhone 5s, still working great. However I'd like some better performance and a larger screen. I think I'm going to buy the iPhone 8/Edition or whatever it is called.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me, it's never just one feature that would compel me to upgrade. It's a compilation of smaller incremental upgrades that make the difference for me. I'm not one that really requires somegroundbreaking feature or capability to upgrade. I always appreciate improvements with certain software features or hardware that makes the experience better for the user.

I know some are disappointed that the last three years have not generated major differences between the iPhone 6/6S/7. But I think there have been enough improvements with features across the board that have really made the experience better for me. For example, the stereo speakers and 3D Touch are features that I really like.

Reactions: Dave245

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Actually this is the first year ever that I'm actually gonna say none. I'm finally at the point where I'm totally happy with my phone and there isn't a single feature I'm lusting after so bad I just have to go out and get a new phone right now. I wanna see how long I can make my 7 plus last

Reactions: Hal~9000

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Currently sitting with my 6S - I was planning on upgrading this year like I do on Tock cycles, but the more I think about it, the less likely I feel like I will upgrade.

The two big possible changes that would make me reconsider are improved battery life (and it would have to be significant, especially considering I already have the battery case), and a better screen which, if rumors are true, only the more-expensive iP8/Edition/Pro/X will get. Maybe some cool stuff with NFC would make me think twice.

On my 6S, the processor is good enough for whatever task I throw at it. The camera takes decent pictures. TouchID works flawlessly, as does 3D Touch. I actually have a headphone jack which yes, I still use. Apple will have to really impress me come September to make me consider even jumping to a 7S, let alone an 8.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A reasonable price tag and enough of a difference to the phone I am currently using. The last 3 releases have been so close and the price keeps going up. It's just a massive turn off as a consumer and I've voted with my wallet on my last upgrade. If Apple keep this pattern then i'll just keep buying the older models and save £200 each time.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’ve only ever owned 4 iPhones in my life.

iPhone 4s

Became slow, small and old.

Upgraded to iPhone 5s.

Became really slow by 2016. Upgrade to iPhone 7 32GB on launch.

Was feeling may need more space. Got a 128 GB iPhone 7.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Which features will tempt you to upgrade your iPhone?

Honestly I need a really good selfie camera.

I take a lot of important selfies and want the best.

Right now I have the 6S which isn't bad and want the 7 but now that it's so close anyway to the new iPhone they say then I'll just wait.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
In general

A better camera
A better screen
Any new features
A bigger screen

For the rumoured iPhone 8:

Oled screen
New design
Wireless charging
Improvements to dual camera lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.