Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savvas_anthro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2019
Greece
Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of buying my first iMac but I am a little bit confused. I'm between the new 21.5'' 2019 model (Core i5 3.0GHz 8th gen/8GB/1TB Fusion/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB) and the 2017 one ((i5/8GB/1TB Fusion/Radeon Pro 560). I can buy the 2017 one brand new by my local shop 300 euros cheaper than buying the 2019 one. Would it be a good buy? Are there tremendous differences between the two mentioned models? I will use it mainly for office, internet, viewing films and (maybe) a little bit of photo editing. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Fishrrman, that wasn't the question. The 27" can be quite a bit more expensive in many parts of the world. Plus, there isn't always enough space for a 27" display, especially in those parts of the world where living space comes at a VERY high premium. Not everybody is blessed with 2,500+ sqft homes for a family of four ;)

@savvas_anthro The 2019 model is a hexa-core with 6 CPU cores whereas the 2017-model is a quad-core with just 4 CPU cores. Based on your intended use you will most likely not notice the difference. Instead of spending 300€ more you might want to consider getting an external USB to run macOS from or upgrading the RAM to 16GB. That would give you a much bigger boost than the two extra cores.

Last edited:
Reactions: trsblader

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
@savvas_anthro The 2019 model is a hexa-core with 6 CPU cores whereas the 2017-model is a quad-core with just 4 CPU cores. Based on your intended use you will most likely not notice the difference. Instead of spending 300€ more you might want to consider getting an external USB to run macOS from or upgrading the RAM to 16GB. That would give you a much bigger boost than the two extra cores.

An external SSD via USB ( with UASP .. if relatively new and not 'race to the bottom' priced enclosure it should be UAPS ) would help. An external HDD probably wouldn't (as a macOS boot drive. As a backup (e.g., TimeMachine) drive then it would. having at least one backup has value over performance in this context. ). Similarly, if the local shop has a 2017 with an SSD that would be a value add for some of that 300 extra.

The RAM will help more depending upon what kind of photographs work with. Mostly larger RAW files then, yes. All JPG/HEIC then more of a slippery slope.

If looking to keep the iMac for a very long time then more RAM is probably better ( to track expansion usage of OS and different apps off in the future. )
[doublepost=1555607325][/doublepost]
Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of buying my first iMac but I am a little bit confused. I'm between the new 21.5'' 2019 model (Core i5 3.0GHz 8th gen/8GB/1TB Fusion/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB) and the 2017 one ((i5/8GB/1TB Fusion/Radeon Pro 560). I can buy the 2017 one brand new by my local shop 300 euros cheaper than buying the 2019 one. Would it be a good buy? Are there tremendous differences between the two mentioned models?

There is no huge difference for the kinds of apps you are using ( unless deep, complicated spreadsheets is included in MS Office work).

If were intent on keeping the iMac for a relatively long time ( 6+ years ) then the 2019 has a slim chance of holding OS upgrade support longer than the 2017. This was a relatively minor hardware bump upgrade so another iMac has a decent chance of showing up in 2020 ... so not much of a support gap. ( about 1 years difference in dates the respective models are superseded. 1 year gap and mostly the same generation CPU/GPU probably means they'll be 'retired' together (or not that far apart.) )

They share a common issue with the Fusion Drive. macOS is highly skewed to working better with SSDs. Performance wise it would be better to either get one internal or add one external. ( if keeping the internal Fusion Drive then could just have a small OS install there if need to send in for repairs and could perhaps use rest of the drive for downloaded music/video ) .

Also long term the 2019 model probably runs a bit cooler which will help with longevity. You wouldn't see 300 value there right away but it may hold its value a bit better over the longer term. But not as much value as being on an SSD boot drive sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.