Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riyaaaa123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2019
Hey there so im currently struggling to decide which IMac to purchase, I want a secondhand one for sure, but I’m juggling between what year and storage/specs/price etc.
I’m currently a university student i mainly use a lot of adobe and general browsing stuff.
I’ve been looking at 2013/2015 Imacs cause they seem the most suitable but I’m having trouble deciding what specs I should be looking at.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
What does it mean lot of Adobe... Adobe what? Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere Pro? I would go for 2015 cause it has 5K display if you use a lot of Adobe.

Riyaaaa123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2019
I should be specific, adobe photoshop, in design and illustrator.
Would the 2013 IMac be fine as I’m not too worried abt display
What does it mean lot of Adobe... Adobe what? Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere Pro? I would go for 2015 cause it has 5K display if you use a lot of Adobe.[/QUO

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Whats your budget? I picked up a base 27" 2017 for £1200 with the trackpad with applecare it was still current in feb and had a list of £2150.

I bought the base because the the mid range was roughly 5-6% quicker and because the top tier throttles again it wasnt that much quicker. Obviously you get the 570 graphic card but its still ok.

Main reason I mention the 2017, there isnt much difference in the CPU compared to the 2015 but you get desktop class graphics card over a mobile version. Thunderbolt 3 also makes these machines much more usable, you can pretty much put any fast accessory externally as and when you need it.

Added an external TB3 NVME which runs at 2500mb/s read and writes to get rid of the fusion drive bottleneck and put 32gbs of ram in it to make 40gbs and it works really rather well. Im a graphic designer and photographer/videographer and I use the majority of the CC suite. Its not the fastest thing on paper but in reality there is very few slow downs and for bang for buck its really rather good. I still shoot 1080p rather than 4k so is perfect, but I know it can edit 4k if I need it to. Unlike most reviews I dont have the need to have videos exporting within seconds for waiting clients so i tend to go away and make a cup of tea and its done.

Especially with the 3 year applecare. It was only 10 months old, gives you piece of mind that if anything goes wrong its covered. Applecare is not attached to the user and to the serial as long as you set up the machine with your credentials and the serial is attached currently applecare is transfered. I tend to buy most of my apple gear this way saves so much money.

I bought another 12 month old 2015 macbook with applecare a few years ago, it had some dead pixels so took it into Apple and they replaced it. Win win.

Apple gear doesn't seem to hold its value like they did, probably because there is more of it and with recent lack of care on apples side they have become less reliable and people have less confidence, again the iMac doesnt have any issues really so this reduced consumer confidence works in your favor. My 2015 macbook was £750, 12 months old. In classic apple fashion it was current and listed from apple at £1300. This and the iMac held roughly 55% of their value in 10-12 months... If you look hard enough you can find great deals.

Check FB for sale, it was up for £1750 and haggled. There are secondhand high street stores in the UK called CEX that give you an idea of trade in values, I think the trade was about £1100 so used it to reduce the price. He got more than trade in and I got nearly 50% off.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: kazmac

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I should be specific, adobe photoshop, in design and illustrator.
Would the 2013 IMac be fine as I’m not too worried abt display

It also depends which GPU you will have in 2013 model. 1 GB VRAM in base model will be so-so.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.