Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mnano50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Switzerland
Hello everyone.

I am looking at acquiring an iPad for work/meetings/presentation and would like to know which model I should go for?

I am a very handwriting-centric person and when I go to a meeting I always bring a notebook to write down things like todo lists, or even draw something for a better understanding of what was discussed later on. My problems are that I wish it was easier to share with others and that I would be really glad if I could have a search function (I can go through regular notebook pretty quickly).

I also work on a MacBook and it would be useful as a secondary monitor when I am not at my desk (and tertiary when I am at my desk) + quickly annotating documents.

I am looking at the iPad mini for portability or the iPad air/pro 11" for the bigger screen real estate. But I am just not sure of what would be the best choice for my use case. My only certainty is that I do not want the 12.9" and wish for apple pencil 2 support.

What do you think?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You haven't mentioned a budget, so I would recommend the pro 11 because of all the features over the Mini and Air. Have you owned an iPad before, and if so, what was it and how did you like it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How big is your notebook?

The 12.9 is roughly the same size as these legal pads and even the 10-11" iPads look so tiny next to these pads and paper print outs.

Personally, I would go with either iPad Air or Pro.

iPad mini 6, Steno Pad, iPad Air 3

26829791-5294-45FC-B918-27C7200ABAD3.jpeg

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
When the M1 IPP 12.9 was released earlier this year, I switched to it after using the IPP 11 and numerous 9.7 iPads prior to that. I've been using iPads for work since the first iPad was released in 2010. I use it to everything from note taking (OneNote) to e-mailing and “general” MS Office duties. My recommendation would be to go for the IPP 12.9 as the larger screen makes it so much more usable for office work. The larger physical size and weight doesn’t bother me. If weight is a concern to you, go for the IPP 11. I also have the Mini 6, but it's to small to be useful as a office tool. It’s better at general media consumption and as a e-reader.

Mnano50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Switzerland
You haven't mentioned a budget, so I would recommend the pro 11 because of all the features over the Mini and Air. Have you owned an iPad before, and if so, what was it and how did you like it?
I don't really have a budget indeed. Never owned an iPad, like I said my objective is to digitalize my notes.

How big is your notebook?
Around the steno pad that you show. Based on the image iPad air/pro does seem to make more sense.

Thank you for the help, I am leaning towards the Air now as I don't think the extra power is needed in my case and the 120 vs 60 Hz for pencil should not impact me too much.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
For the work you've mentioned, yes, Air is a good device. I am using it and really liking it. its like 1 screen that i carry around now for meetings, notes, presentations, documentation and surfing the internet.

oh, not to mention emails and if my phone is around on the same wifi, calls as well.

in my opinion, pro is much suitable for people who also do pro style of work and that involves lot of image/video editing or drawing etc.

and yes, lastly on ipad mini - i had earlier thought that mini would be good to do all the above like docs, notes , etc..eventually, i realized that the screen is just too small especially if you want to have 2 windows open.

so my suggestion would be Air 4

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thank you for the help, I am leaning towards the Air now as I don't think the extra power is needed in my case and the 120 vs 60 Hz for pencil should not impact me too much.

Consider the previous gen 2020 Pro as well. I think Apple certified refurb 128GB is around the same price as brand new 64GB Air 4.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The other thing that happens is after buying an iPad for a specific purpose, you may find how useful and fun it is for other things too, so going with an Air or a Pro will give you more options because of the size and features.

I agree with @rui no onna's excellent suggestion about the 2020 Pro refurb. Refurbs are an excellent deal because of Apple's refurb process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.