Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad Pro 11" should I get ? (2020 vs 2021)

• (2021) iPad Pro 11" M1 128 GB Wi-Fi Only for €899 (€1384 with MK+Pencil)

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • (2020) iPad Pro 11" 128 GB Wi-Fi + Cellular + MK + Pencil for €850

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

graphitePro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Paris, France
Hey guys, I was so hyped about the Mini-LED screen, the brightness, deep blacks, but unfortunately it's not happening on the 11″.

I can't wait another year, I will keep this iPad for 1 or 2 years and upgrade to the newer 11” Mini-LED in the near future.

The 12.9” is very tempting, but I don't really like the portability and weight on this model, and it costs €1754 for a base model with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil.

So I looked for a used model and I wanted to know which one should I buy between :
  • 2021 iPad Pro 11″ M1 Chip 128 GB Wi-Fi only for €899 (€1384 with MK and Pencil)
  • 2020 iPad Pro 11″ A12Z 128 GB Wi-Fi + Cellular (Magic Keyboard + Pencil included) for €850 (bought in October 2020)
I'm afraid that the A12Z doesn't support the newer iPadOS software, even though I'll not use it for heavy video producing.

I will use it at home and on the go, as a replacement for my dead laptop. That's why I'm getting the Magic Keyboard for some productivity tasks, and the Pencil to draw on Procreate + note-taking.

I'm very interested in what you guys would choose. Is the M1 worth the extra cash without the Mini-LED screen compared to the 2020 model ?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey guys, I was so hyped about the Mini-LED screen, the brightness, deep blacks, but unfortunately it's not happening on the 11″.

I can't wait another year, I will keep this iPad for 1 or 2 years and upgrade to the newer 11” Mini-LED in the near future.

The 12.9” is very tempting, but I don't really like the portability and weight on this model, and it costs €1754 for a base model with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil.

So I looked for a used model and I wanted to know which one should I buy between :
  • 2021 iPad Pro 11″ M1 Chip 128 GB Wi-Fi only for €899 (€1384 with MK and Pencil)
  • 2020 iPad Pro 11″ A12Z 128 GB Wi-Fi + Cellular (Magic Keyboard + Pencil included) for €850 (bought in October 2020)
I'm afraid that the A12Z doesn't support the newer iPadOS software, even though I'll not use it for heavy video producing.

I will use it at home and on the go, as a replacement for my dead laptop. That's why I'm getting the Magic Keyboard for some productivity tasks, and the Pencil to draw on Procreate + note-taking.

I'm very interested in what you guys would choose. Is the M1 worth the extra cash without the Mini-LED screen compared to the 2020 model ?
Buy the newer version and use a cheaper keyboard from Logitech.

graphitePro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Paris, France
For 40 just get the newer one and use a bluetooth keyboard and a stand

Buy the newer version and use a cheaper keyboard from Logitech.

So €135 for the Pencil and €20 for a cheap bluetooth keyboard on Amazon makes the price difference at €204

Does the M1 Chip is worth €204 more compared to the A12Z ? For someone who's not taking advantage of the extra processing power.

jonathanjoestar

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Made an account to say this. Why dont you buy the 2020 model keep the mk, pencill and sell the ipad? Then you could buy the new one, saving money (i think) .

Reactions: Wackery

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong

I wouldn't get the stupid keyboard. It's beyond overprice and heavier than the iPad itself. I have it on my 12.9" and regret it. Also it broke twice. Once replaced.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
So €135 for the Pencil and €20 for a cheap bluetooth keyboard on Amazon makes the price difference at €204

Does the M1 Chip is worth €204 more compared to the A12Z ? For someone who's not taking advantage of the extra processing power.
If your not taking advantage of the extra processing power, then why not get the Ipad Air 4 and have a brand new A14 chip, instead of a 2 year old A12Z? Unless you really want the Pro-motion 120mhz screen of course!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

A12Z will continue to get many many more iPadOS updates, that you can be sure of.

If I were you I would get the newer 2021 though, then you can sell it for a nice bit when you upgrade to the 11” Mini-LED when that arrives. :)

graphitePro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Paris, France
If your not taking advantage of the extra processing power, then why not get the Ipad Air 4 and have a brand new A14 chip, instead of a 2 year old A12Z? Unless you really want the Pro-motion 120mhz screen of course!
Yes because of the 120Hz, 128 GB and quad speakers. 64 GB is not enough for me.
Made an account to say this. Why dont you buy the 2020 model keep the mk, pencill and sell the ipad? Then you could buy the new one, saving money (i think) .
and
A12Z will continue to get many many more iPadOS updates, that you can be sure of.

If I were you I would get the newer 2021 though, then you can sell it for a nice bit when you upgrade to the 11” Mini-LED when that arrives. :)
If I do this, I will pay €329~429 more by buying the 2021 model +MK+Pencil vs the 2020 model. And I'm including AppleCare for the 2021 model.
Do you think it's worth it ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.