Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthulhu22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2022
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to using apple products. I have some questions in my mind, I thought it would be best to ask them here.
Due to the situation in my country, I can't allocate much money for an iPad, so I'm looking for a device that will meet my needs, I'm not after more. I will be using the ipad to take notes using GoodNotes, draw with procreate, organize my weekly plan and read comics. I think I don't need a lot of hardware power since I can't do things like video editing anyway. I would be very grateful if you could help me to get an idea.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Any iPad can do those things, so the basic, even previous gen version, should be fine. With procreate, you will start to hit limits in the amount of layers you can have, due to ram limitations, but that’s the only thing I can think of. You can just work out the limit for the model you have and then work within those limits.

If money is the primary concern, then basic cheapest iPad plus Apple Pencil is fine. As I say you can even go a generation or 2 back if you wanted. I wouldn’t skimp on the pencil though, the Apple version is by far the best one. You also may want to look at a matte screen protector such as paperlike. They aren’t very cheap but they’re incredible at transforming the way it feels like to draw or write. There are cheaper options available.

cthulhu22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2022
Any iPad can do those things, so the basic, even previous gen version, should be fine. With procreate, you will start to hit limits in the amount of layers you can have, due to ram limitations, but that’s the only thing I can think of. You can just work out the limit for the model you have and then work within those limits.

If money is the primary concern, then basic cheapest iPad plus Apple Pencil is fine. As I say you can even go a generation or 2 back if you wanted. I wouldn’t skimp on the pencil though, the Apple version is by far the best one. You also may want to look at a matte screen protector such as paperlike. They aren’t very cheap but they’re incredible at transforming the way it feels like to draw or write. There are cheaper options available.
I agree with the apple pen issue, it will be easy to get a pen after getting the ipad, so it didn't occur to me to include it. I am not a person who makes complex drawings, I am using autodesk sketchbook on my current android tablet, and my most complex drawing consists of maximum 4 layers, so I think it will be okay. Also, thank you very much for your answer. I better start checking out previous generations.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If the money is really tight, get the iPad basic. If you have some rooms, get iPad Air. Previous generation should be ok too. Or if you can find used one is also ok as long it still in mint condition. iPad can be still mint even after years.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wait. I wouldn’t buy an iPad that uses Apple Pencil 1 at this point in time.

It’s rumored the next basic iPad will switch to flat edges and USB-C ergo Apple Pencil 2 support.

On the used market, you want to target something with AP2 support (iPad Pro 2018 or newer, iPad Air 4).

Reactions: Digitalguy

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
I have both generations of Pencils; while the second is more convenient in some ways, the first feels great and works well.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have both generations of Pencils; while the second is more convenient in some ways, the first feels great and works well.

Works well, sure. The charging is a major hassle though (particularly if you lose the teeny tiny Lightning adapter).

Frankly, I almost never used mine because it usually didn’t have a charge when I needed it. It looked so unsightly and accident-prone when plugged in to the iPad in order to charge.

Based on current regular iPad rumors, the Pencil 1 also won’t be usable on any new iPad going forward.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
Works well, sure. The charging is a major hassle though (particularly if you lose the teeny tiny Lightning adapter).

Frankly, I almost never used mine because it usually didn’t have a charge when I needed it. It looked so unsightly and accident-prone when plugged in to the iPad in order to charge.

Based on current regular iPad rumors, the Pencil 1 also won’t be usable on any new iPad going forward.
I’ve never had a problem charging it, but I always store the adapter in the same secure spot.

Probably not. Whether that’s a problem or not depends on the OP.

Reactions: ericwn

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I agree, while I still have and use lightning iPads and I love some of their accessories (notably the smart covers, which I much prefer to the smart folio), the pencil 2 it's a big improvement over the 1.
It's so comfortable to have it magnetically stick to the side, to never worry about charging it and it feels better in the hand (this last one might be subjective).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.