Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad should I get?

• iPad Air 5th gen (£579)

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Refurbished 11-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi 64GB (£479)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Refurbished 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 64GB - (3rd Generation) £599

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

JCarmona

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2014
Hi all,

I've been curious of getting an iPad for reading, web surfing, watching movies on trips (VLC or streaming services) and going a bit into picture editing learning about design. Maybe FaceTime, but I have a MacBook Pro 16 intel and an iPhone 12 (which I'll update to the 14)

With the release of the iPad Air 5th gen, the M1 chip sounds tempting, but also opens the conversation with refurbished iPad Pros. With the Pros, I lose on chip (A12X vs M1) and the FaceTime camera. With the Pros I win ProMotion and either £100 savings or 1.9 inch screen

Which one do you recommend to buy?

Thanks!

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Hi all,

I've been curious of getting an iPad for reading, web surfing, watching movies on trips (VLC or streaming services) and going a bit into picture editing learning about design. Maybe FaceTime, but I have a MacBook Pro 16 intel and an iPhone 12 (which I'll update to the 14)

With the release of the iPad Air 5th gen, the M1 chip sounds tempting, but also opens the conversation with refurbished iPad Pros. With the Pros, I lose on chip (A12X vs M1) and the FaceTime camera. With the Pros I win ProMotion and either £100 savings or 1.9 inch screen

Which one do you recommend to buy?

Thanks!
As per your requirements:
For reading, any of these would be fine.
For web surfing, any of these would be fine - although scrolling will feel slightly smoother with the Pro models.
For watching movies, any of these would be fine.
Picture editing, the iPad Air 5 would be far superior due to its M1 and 8GB RAM.
FaceTime, any is fine but the Air 5 will have the benefit of CenterStage.
Whether 11” or 12.9” will depend on whether you want more screen, or more portability.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
All iPads are pretty capable these days. You need to decide what screen size is your preference, then plan from there. Buy from a place with a return policy and see what works best for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.