Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
After owning the X for nearly a year which color scratches easier and or held up better, and would that make you buy the same or different color this year?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I guess it depends? Problem with the Silver Model was that the stainless Steel isn't coated so it would scratch. But nice thing about the Silver model is you can use Cape Cod to get rid of the scratches.

Problem with the Space Gray model is that it has PVD coating so it looks nice, but once you end up scratching it, you will leave a permanent damage and you can't get rid of it. You can but you'd have to wipe off the PVD coating. I have the Space Gray Model and personally it has held up better than I expected. YMMV depending on usage.

Reactions: michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I guess it depends? Problem with the Silver Model was that the stainless Steel isn't coated so it would scratch. But nice thing about the Silver model is you can use Cape Cod to get rid of the scratches.

Problem with the Space Gray model is that it has PVD coating so it looks nice, but once you end up scratching it, you will leave a permanent damage and you can't get rid of it. You can but you'd have to wipe off the PVD coating. I have the Space Gray Model and personally it has held up better than I expected. YMMV depending on usage.
Would you rebuy it?

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
My SG X looks brand new. Used it the past year without a case. The PVD is an extremely strong coating. The back glass has a few minor scratches that you really need the right light to see. Ordering the same color for the Xs Max and wife is going with Gold Xs Max. She had a silver X but was in an apple leather case so it is mint.

Reactions: michial

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
I initially bought the Space Grey X, but took it back for Silver because it was a fingerprint magnet on the sides and back. I couldn't take it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.