Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Which is best for reproduction and playback of Apple Music High resolution music?
Sound quality with high impedance headphone (Senheiser 580 and 600)and plugging in studio monitors (Yamaha HS8)?
DAC and Amp inside?
Really asking about the choice of: Audio quality Mac mini vs Mac studio vs MacBook vs other?
Thank you.

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
[EDIT: The original post was clarified significantly after I wrote the following.]

The headphone jack in the Mac Studio and the new MacBooks give users of high impedance headphones better control over the level/volume of the audio that they're listening to if they aren't using an audio interface.

Beyond that, I'm unsure of what you're asking.

Last edited:

TTYS0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Nashville, TN
Personally, I use the Zen DAC v2. The system really doesn't matter in that case, since the DAC is receiving a digital signal, which isn't going to differ from machine to machine. Headphones and speakers are then a whole other can of worms. I like the Philips SHP9500 for headphones, and the Vanatoo T0 for speakers.

The thing that trips all this up, by the way is that best word. Best for what? There isn't a singular best of anything. If there were, that's the only thing anyone would use. The above gear is currently the best for me, but that might change one day.

If you want to make sure that you have the most control over the audio signal quality, then go for an external DAC. At that point, choosing the DAC that is best for you is something you'll need to figure out based on what kind of control you want over the audio signal. For a lot of folks, the Mac's internal DAC is perfectly fine.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Regardless of what type of audio you're listening to, and to a large extent, the quality of your headphones/speakers, there is no Mac, or any other computer, that has even moderately good audio quality via its internal components (DAC, jacks, etc.). None!

Your listening experience will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain. Decent external audio interfaces are not too expensive for anyone who doesn't bat an eyelash at Apple prices. You can move into the lower tier of pro territory for less money than Apple now charges for a keyboard/mouse combo. Avoid the all-in-one adapters that simply plug into the port. Get one that uses a cable to get away from the computer itself, which is basically any of the those worth buying.

Plugging German-engineered cans directly into a Mac or PC is akin to buying a Porsche and having your grandma chauffeur you around in the city, instead of you taking it to the track and driving it the way it's meant to be driven.

TTYS0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Nashville, TN
Now I can't get the scene of someone saying "...grand-ma-ma, please go warm up the Porsche. I need to pick up some milk and eggs from the grocery." out of my head. ?

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Could you elaborate/give some examples please of brand and model of the devices you are talking about? Thank you.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Sure. Go through this list and pick one in your price range with good reviews and a config that meets your needs. I have, among others, Motu, Focusrite, Sound Devices, all of which are great. Even those around 150 bucks are suitable for numerous basic pro applications, and are relatively portable for the field and travel:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Could you elaborate/give some examples please of brand and model of the devices you are talking about? Thank you.

It's obvious from the revised version of your original post that either you know more than your post suggests or you've been doing some research. Nobody talks about specific open-back headphones that cost US$400, and monitors that cost $800 for a pair, by chance. Most people don't even know that open-back headphones exist.

It's hard to believe that you don't also have a list of options for computer audio interfaces.

Most of the gear listed in the B&H link in @xav8tor's post above is designed for people who want to record audio as well as listen to it. In other words, a lot of it may just be the wrong kind of interface, in terms of price as well as functionality, for what you want to do. The list also omits products that may well be of interest to you that B&H doesn't sell.

For example, @xav8tor says that he has a Sound Devices audio interface. I have both of the interfaces that Sound Devices makes, and I wouldn't recommend either of them to someone who wants to listen to music, but doesn't need to record music. That person would be paying quite a lot of money for functionality that he/she doesn't need.

What exactly is your objective and what do you want to know?

To address the one specific question that you ask... I'm unaware of any difference in the digital to analogue conversion components in the three Macs that you mention, although that doesn't mean that there aren't differences. I'm also unaware of any law that says that one can't use good quality headphones or monitors if they're fed by those components instead of by a third party interface. I do it frequently, for example with Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones, and I'm not wearing a hair shirt about it either :)

More typically, if I want to plug headphones straight into a Mac computer or use headphones with iOS, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 headphones. For one thing, they're practically indestructible, and all the parts, if you do manage to bang them up, can be easily replaced. They are also my go-to headphones for field sound recording. Until recently, Sennheiser had a fun video on YouTube that traced the HD 25s back to the Concord. Regrettably, it has yanked that video and replaced it with this one for the HD 25's 75th anniversary. Not bad, but not nearly as entertaining:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.