Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Ok so Im going to get a new lens for xmis but not sure which one. I have the Sony alpha 700. Somthing that has its bang for buck ya know. I have a 18-250mm right now. I kinda want a macro + portrait lens. But I wana see what everyone uses most and what everyone likes.

Thanks.

JNB

macrumors 604
In my experience, 18-250 is kind of broad to be really good at either extreme, but should be good for most general-purpose work, I would imagine that you can do at least some decent portraiture and macro with it already. Assuming you want dedicated lenses and to stay with the Sony glass, the 50mm f/1.4 should be a decent portraiture lens, and I liked the 50mm f/2.8 macro.

Why don't you post a few shots of what you can do with what you've already got?

Sony has a relatively limited selection of lenses, and I don't use 3rd-party stuff (Tamron & the like), so I can't suggest anything along those lines.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Here they are.

Attachments

• Center of things copy.jpg
    Center of things copy.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00991.jpg
    DSC00991.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00865_2.jpg
    DSC00865_2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01329.jpg
    DSC01329.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 75

JNB

macrumors 604
Really nice work!

Have you tried portraits or macro work with the 18-250? Since both of those fall within the lens' focal range, I'd bet it's pretty good (or at least sufficient) at one or the other. I'd suggest seeing where it's strongest, then get the dedicated lens covering the style you think needs improvement. Also, which style do you see yourself doing more of?

Me, I'd prolly get the macro, because that's more an area of my interest, and where I think I could get more original shots. I wouldn't mind playing with both macros Sony offers, see which one is more appropriate.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Really nice work!

Have you tried portraits or macro work with the 18-250? Since both of those fall within the lens' focal range, I'd bet it's pretty good (or at least sufficient) at one or the other. I'd suggest seeing where it's strongest, then get the dedicated lens covering the style you think needs improvement. Also, which style do you see yourself doing more of?

Me, I'd prolly get the macro, because that's more an area of my interest, and where I think I could get more original shots. I wouldn't mind playing with both macros Sony offers, see which one is more appropriate.

Well I think I see my self going into more portraits over the next few months. I would also like to have the option of the macro with 1 lens. There is this one that im thinking of, http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/macro/50_28.htm. Or this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZH712

Not sure which one to use. Would the macro lens be good for portraits or is there a special dedicated lens for that. If so what is it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.