Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
If you're doing video, I would suggest the 27". I believe the extra screen real estate would be to your benefit.
Correct me if I'm wrong , but I believe that on the 27", you can upgrade the RAM as I don't think 8GB will be enough for video. I don't believe you can upgrade the RAM yourself on the 21"

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Q:
"which Mac is worth investing in?"

A:
NONE of them.
They are all commodity items that begin to depreciate the moment you take them out of the box.
Some will last longer than others.

Just pick the one that seems best-suited to your needs, buy it, and use it.
If you make money from your use of it, depreciate it as an asset.
But as an "investment", it's not the Mac that "makes money" for you.
YOU will earn the money, from your own talents... using it as no more than a tool.

OK, lecture over.
Of the two you posted, for video editing, there is no comparison.
The 27" is superior.
You will NEVER regret having that larger display, especially for editing video.

Reactions: EmmEff and James_C

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I agree the 27" iMac is by far the better choice.

A couple of issues you may want to consider.

What format of Video are you editing ? 1080P or 4k ?

256GB of internal storage is not going to last long. So you will need to consider adding either more internal storage or SSD external storage.

8GB RAM is the bare minimum for video editing, 16GB would be better.

If you are looking at a significant amount of video editing and its for professional use, then I would be looking at the high end 27" iMac's with i7/i9 processors and better graphics cards, rather than the low end 27" iMac you have linked, particularly if you are looking to edit 4k.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I need a new video editing Mac and I am wondering which of these two macs I should invest in.

Thanks in advance!

Imac1
Imac2
I would also recomend the 27 inch. You get the extra screen real estate plus on the 27 inch you can upgrade your own RAM so if you can only afford 8 or 16 GB now, you can upgrade that later on your own.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Definetly the 27" primarily due to the ability to upgrade the ram. Most people overbuy on CPU and Video cards, when memory is the thing that will genuinely future proof you. I was between a new iMac and a used trashcan Mac Pro and went with the Mac Pro for this reason (it was also quite a bit cheaper, but I also had a monitor, webcam, soundbar I was already happy with, so my case is different). 12-cores, dual 6gb AMD Firpros and 128gb ram (And 2tb SSD) for $2500 was a steal for me. Also the ceiling on the iMac was 64gb when I did this, and it's now 128gb just like this Mac Pro which is great long term.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I just wondering if they going to announce a new 24' iMac next week? Yes or No?
Unlikely for Apple to announce a 24-inch iMac at the upcoming event.

It is worth pointing out that the single hash mark (') represents feet not inches so you are technically referring to something that couldn't fit in a typical living room.

I assume this wasn't intentional but it does strain credibility.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
I am always buying tower Mac workstation because for very very longer lifespan than other Mac model, but my priority is mostly prefer headless Mac, so Mini is also welcome.

Replacement parts is also more easier on those box, still resemble conventional computer which I familiar with. I think my 2019 cheese grater still okay until 2030.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.