Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
Which macbook pro graphics card? iris or iris with radeon for lightroom and photoshop and maybe at some point video but who knows? Do i need to drop 800 more on the one with the radeon? I do not play games. Does anyone have specs on benchmarks on the two or have any more info about them? I just got the retina 2016 macbook but may upgrade it to a pro. I was originally looking at the 13 inch macbook pro but the retina is almost as f ast and my i7 2011 macbook pro is way faster as well so i feel like I'm stuck with the 15. Opinions?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Which macbook pro graphics card? iris or iris with radeon for lightroom and photoshop and maybe at some point video but who knows? Do i need to drop 800 more on the one with the radeon? I do not play games. Does anyone have specs on benchmarks on the two or have any more info about them? I just got the retina 2016 macbook but may upgrade it to a pro. I was originally looking at the 13 inch macbook pro but the retina is almost as f ast and my i7 2011 macbook pro is way faster as well so i feel like I'm stuck with the 15. Opinions?

Wait for the new MacBook pros, it could be a few months though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd opt for the 15" MBP without the dGPU, the supplied iGPU in the 15" model is more then enough.

The quad core processor and larger screen, has more benefits over the 13" model.

Reactions: rattler

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Lightroom and Photoshop are nearly entirely CPU dependant, so the dGPU would likely make no difference. I have the base model with Iris Pro and it flies through any image editing tasks I can throw at it.

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
One without dgpu would serve you well. I'm running photo, design, CAM, Rending software without dgpu.
I'll probably get tad better performance with dgpu but 2011 dgpu issue scarred me for good.

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
More than decent. Not a single problem with Adobe CS6 / Capture One pro along with plenty (70+) of chrome tabs
*don't flame me for using chrome*:D

Btw, it's a late 2013 15" rmbp (non-dgpu) w/ Dell P2715Q

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I doubt that you will see any measurable difference for photo/video work, except of corner cases where you apply simple transformations to ultra-high resolution content (that is the situation where a dGPU can utilise its higher memory bandwidth).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.