Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moyanagy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
UK (born in Hungary)
Now that pricing of older minis has come down a little, I am thinking to get one for iTunes music server in my home. I have a big collections of lossless music that I will put onto a 1TB SSD inside the mini. I will use the second drive for this, and have the OS on the first, also on a small SSD.

My question is which is a good choice for this? I would like to buy an older cheaper one for this job, but not sure of the specs to buy? 2011 server? 2012 i5? Or which?

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Now that pricing of older minis has come down a little, I am thinking to get one for iTunes music server in my home. I have a big collections of lossless music that I will put onto a 1TB SSD inside the mini. I will use the second drive for this, and have the OS on the first, also on a small SSD.

My question is which is a good choice for this? I would like to buy an older cheaper one for this job, but not sure of the specs to buy? 2011 server? 2012 i5? Or which?
I'd get a 2012 i5. I had one for quite awhile, but I didn't use it as a Music server. However, I think it actually would be pretty fast.

Reasoning for a 2012 over a 2011 = better software support - runs up to Catalina natively, while a 2011 only runs up to High Sierra natively. Both run Big Sur and Monterey under OCLP.

Hope this helps.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Have you considered a NAS box if looking for a music server.

Most NAS vendors have an iTunes music server option.

Pretty cheap and low power usage

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I used a 2014 Base 1.4ghz i5/4gb Mini for several years with all my media on an external disk. Worked fine, this is not a very demanding task for a Mac and you should be able to find these very cheap since they're pretty bad as a general purpose computer.

A few years ago I upgraded to a 2014 2.8ghz i5/8gb Mini when B&H Photo was blowing them out for $500. That also works fine, all my media is on a 4tb external SSD. I saw no reason to install an internal SSD since the Mini is hidden in a cabinet. This Mini has a fusion drive, but I split the 128gb SSD from the 1tb hard drive and boot the Mini from the SSD.

Initially I used a 2012 2.5ghz i5 Mini but decided to re-purpose that. But it was fine too. A NAS wouldn't meet my needs because I am also serving about 1200 iTunes videos and AFAIK you need a Mac for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.