Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Just bought a Dell U2410 looking for decent color calibration software/hardware. This is not for professional work, and my humble eyes do not need the best. Would use primarily with Photoshop CS4. I've heard that Spyder 3 is a good value, but I don't really know what my options are. I do want to be able to easy re-calibrate to different ambient light.

Thanks.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
XRite EyeOne LT - I purchased a used one for $70 on an Internet Forum... Couldn't be happier. And, if you need a little more detailed calibration you can purchase the upgraded software and release its full potential.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Syder 3 Elite vs. Spder 3 Pro

I've been very happy with the Spyder 2 Pro - they're on Spyder 3 now though. :D
Looks like there's two versions here, with the Elite version being $40 more. Any rec's on which one?
XRite EyeOne LT...
Looks like I'd prefer one that will let me save settings for multiple ambient lighting situations. I hadn't realized I wanted this until I read about it. Thanks, though...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Looks like there's two versions here, with the Elite version being $40 more. Any rec's on which one?

Well, at least when I look at the Spyder Comparison Chart, I don't see that the Elite offers anything extra that the typical user cares about. Generally people are going to want to calibrate with a gamma of 2.2 and a color temp of 6500K, so the ability to use an unlimited range of either seems pointless. It's funny that, with the Spyder3 Pro, they've added some meaningless "restrictions" like that which weren't there with the Spyder2 Pro - you'll notice they don't compare to the Spyder2 Pro, just the Express. :D

Look at that comparison chart. People who actually need the Elite will know it. If you don't know (e.g. if you find yourself thinking "Hmm, what is that? Do I need it?") then you don't need it, seriously.

Bottom line (in my opinion anyway) - get the Spyder3 Pro, not the Elite.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I just got the Spyder 3 Express, and I'm pretty happy with that (thought it's my first colorimeter, so I don't have anything to compare it to).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I just got the Spyder 3 Express, and I'm pretty happy with that (thought it's my first colorimeter, so I don't have anything to compare it to).

I think the main advantage of Pro over Express is you can use it on multiple computers/monitors. So you've got a point there - if the OP only has the single setup, that might be all he needs.

In any case it's the same colorimeter across the range of Spyder 3 products, so the differences are strictly related to restrictions imposed by the software.

Addendum: Looks like the OP did mention (in the middle of this thread) that he wanted the ability to use multiple profiles - so he'd need the Pro version I believe.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Looks like the OP did mention (in the middle of this thread) that he wanted the ability to use multiple profiles - so he'd need the Pro version I believe.

There's a workaround for that (pretty straightforward), but as I understand things, the other colorimeters also have a sensor on the exterior to measure ambient light, so that might be a reason to get one of the more expensive models.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I use the Spyder3 Pro with my Dell 3008WFP. It works great, is easy to use, supports the direct RGB controls on the Dell, and also supports ambient light measurement. I am able to calibrate my monitor to within a fraction of a percent of an ideal 6500K whitepoint. I can also create multiple profiles easily, e.g. one for the Dell and another for my MBP 15" screen.

I had the Spyder2 Express previously. The Spyder3 Pro is a big improvement.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I think the main advantage of Pro over Express is you can use it on multiple computers/monitors. So you've got a point there - if the OP only has the single setup, that might be all he needs....
The Spyder 2 Express does not support direct RGB controls if your monitor has them. You need the Spyder3 Pro or better for that. If your monitor does have RGB controls it is very worthwhile getting a colorimeter that utilizes them (on the Spyder it's actually the software that makes the difference between Express and Pro).

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Well, at least when I look at the Spyder Comparison Chart, I don't see that the Elite offers anything extra that the typical user cares about...get the Spyder3 Pro, not the Elite.
I think...Addendum: Looks like the OP did mention (in the middle of this thread) that he wanted the ability to use multiple profiles - so he'd need the Pro version I believe.
...as I understand things, the other colorimeters also have a sensor on the exterior to measure ambient light, so that might be a reason to get one of the more expensive models.
I use the Spyder3 Pro with my Dell 3008WFP...I had the Spyder2 Express previously. The Spyder3 Pro is a big improvement.
The Spyder 2 Express does not support direct RGB controls if your monitor has them. You need the Spyder3 Pro or better for that...
Thanks Westside guy, telecomm, and Race Tripper…

It’s looking like the Express is not enough, and the Elite is too much (I wonder if that’s the way Datacolor planned it -- isn't marketing often set up so we buy the "middle" verison?).

Looks like I’ll be going with the “Pro."

-Chris

Edit: I just now ordered Spyder 3 Pro from B&H. Thanks again for your time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.