Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiIip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
We all know that monitor we are using has big influence on how our photos will look. I'm in front of big decision to make, which monitor should I buy. I will be really grateful, if you tell me about what monitors what monitors you are using and what do you think about them. Another thing I would like to know is if Apple Cinema Display 24" can be used for photography editing. And if anybody is using it for photography.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

FiIip

PS. I'm really sorry about my English, I hope you understand what I'm saying;)

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I use a 24" LED ACD for photo editing. I have had it calibrated for colour. The only thing is you have to remember is not to have the brightness turned all the way up. The truth is in the pixels thought. If you read your information numbers in photoshop then you'll know if your brightness is set too high or low. The truth is, any monitor can be used for photo editing, just some are better equipped for it than others. There are better monitors for doing it than the ACD, but it was the monitor I chose, and it worked well with the new macbook pro I had.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I normally use my PB G4, then see how it looks on default settings on other monitors if I really care.

Jordz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
After going round with one of my mates for some time, discussing and looking at screens which are the sharpest and various other bits and bobs. We have come to the conclusion that the Imac screens, the Apple LED screens and the Macbook Pro screens being the best. He has been a windows user for the duration of his photography life and the reason why was cause at the time the Sony Vaio screen he had seen was the sharpest of them all. He had looked at the mac screens at the time and they didn't compare to it. Finally he saw the light and after a few trips to my house and a mess on the 24" Alu Imac he is now about to buy one! He is a very experienced photographer and the only screen he's ever seen that compared to his Sony one was the Imac.

The Imac screen is the best, it's sharp, bright, the colours are are very vibrant and clear, not to mention it runs on OS X and is a hell of a lot better than windows. Macs are made for this kinda thing. Image and Graphics.

I certainly think the screens that apple produce now are of extreme quality!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Dell 3007WFP-HC; it doesn't have a hardware decoder built-in, it doesn't come with any contrast or color controls and only comes with 1 DVI-D port.

Great monitor. Excellent color after a calibration.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Anything IPS will work the best. eIPS or sIPS also.
If money is no issue anything IPS. If you dont have an extra 600-1,200 lying around get an eIPS like Dells 2209WA. For $250.00 (If you can find one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.