Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I would like to buy one of the new MacBook Pro models and need some buying advice.

My current setup consists of a 5K 2017 iMac (4,2GHz-Quad i7 with 64GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 580 8GB) connected to two old external monitors (s. picture below):
  • 21" LG Flatron E2211 in portait mode
  • 27" Samsung T27C350 in landscape mode
IMG_20211123_203421.jpg

For the reason of portability as well as the M1 processor which seems to be where apples future is headed (and respective software support), I would like to move away from my iMac and buy a MacBook instead.

I am using my Mac mostly for software development, some graphic design (sometimes even FCPX) and studying (which is where I need a lot of screen real estate). So, the three-monitor setup as well as the screen orientations (I use the portrait screen for code editing as well as document reading where I need as much vertical screen space as possible) is quite essential for many of my workflows and I would like to keep it when moving to a laptop (preferably using the laptop in clamshell mode - even though I now it is a shame given the great new display of the MacBook Pro).

So my questions are:
  • Which MacBook Pro model should I buy? I read that if I wanted to connect three external monitors it will have to be the M1 Max as the Pro only allows for two external monitors at maximum, right? I am someone who rather likes to spend a few extra dollars if it guarantees long life and saves me from buying twice.
  • Which monitors would be ideal for my particular use case? I looked into some 49" ultra wide curved monitors (e.g. Samsung C49RG94SSR) but I am not sure it offers as much space as I desire and is as practical as separate monitors even though it certainly looks a lot cleaner (if anyone has experience in this area, i.e. ultra wide vs. separate monitors, I would love to hear!). Do you have any recommendations on two 27" monitors and a 21" monitor which work well together, both, in terms of their ability to make use of what the M1 Pro/Max supplies as well as the matching of their outward appearance (color, bezel thickness etc.)?
  • Can you recommend any docking solution to use the MacBook Pro in clamshell mode and tuck it away nicely? Preferably I would only have to connect one cable for charging and driving my 3-external monitor setup but I guess this is wishful thinking...
Thanks for all advice and tips!

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'd be interested to hear what people come up with as I would like to ditch my iMac and go to a laptop and monitor set up. My biggest issue is I've never seen a monitor that like except for the Apple branded ones. All the others look really generic and plasticy.. I often wondered if a 4k TV might be an okay option? or do they not play well as computer monitors

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Hello !

I have dabbled in the arts of the ultrawidedness, found myself gravitating back towards multiple screens for the simple reason that window management was more efficient in my case( easy 1/2's on my portrait screen and 1/3 - 2/3 on the landscape). I am sure that with some wizardry, one would be able to find a workable option.

Something about having your "workspaces" physically defined appeals to me.

Reactions: jfish7

jfish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Hello !

I have dabbled in the arts of the ultrawidedness, found myself gravitating back towards multiple screens for the simple reason that window management was more efficient in my case( easy 1/2's on my portrait screen and 1/3 - 2/3 on the landscape). I am sure that with some wizardry, one would be able to find a workable option.

Something about having your "workspaces" physically defined appeals to me.
Hi JahBoolean, thanks for your comment! That it is exactly my concern. I am using BetterSnapTool to orchestrate my windows and it is quite efficient to send a certain window by the press of a button to another monitor rescaling to its respective native dimensions. I doubt this would be possible in a one-monitor ultra wide setup...

jfish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I'd be interested to hear what people come up with as I would like to ditch my iMac and go to a laptop and monitor set up. My biggest issue is I've never seen a monitor that like except for the Apple branded ones. All the others look really generic and plasticy.. I often wondered if a 4k TV might be an okay option? or do they not play well as computer monitors
I am not quite sure I get your point, entropfl, but thank you for your answer anyways :)

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
OP I’m not much help, as I’ve always been a dual display guy using my MBP or iMac screen with a single external display. It’s all I need for real estate. I found when I added a third display that it would end up being used as a distraction by streaming media or something else to take my focus off my work.

One of my colleagues at work is fond of his setup with 27” landscape display in the center with 2 21” or 22” displays in portrait on each side.

entropyfl, a 43” 4k tv has a pixel density similar to a 21” 1080p display. It certainly could work as a large display. I’ve tinkered with it a bit but find that I just need to move my head around way too much to view things on the display, so it isn’t for me.

As others have mentioned I use Magnet to snap windows on my display and going to a 4k full res display like this would have me constantly manually resizing windows.

The tv is currently mounted behind my bar which serves as my work from home space. It now takes up a similar portion of my field of view as my 21” display that I use on the bar when working from home. Connecting the tv and using full 4k resolution is not practical in this scenario as it is too far away. However connecting a 1080p resolution works fairly well. In my early 20s I probably would have used the tv like this over Air Play, but now my eyes don’t refocus fast enough.

Reactions: jfish7

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Hi JahBoolean, thanks for your comment! That it is exactly my concern. I am using BetterSnapTool to orchestrate my windows and it is quite efficient to send a certain window by the press of a button to another monitor rescaling to its respective native dimensions. I doubt this would be possible in a one-monitor ultra wide setup...

I may have put emphasis on the wrong concept in my last reply.

Yes, the window management will require some additional thinking, but that is a software problem (i.e: easily remediable, though I cannot offer an answer)

My main bother with the ultra wide was my inability to truly focus on one task, something that I encounter less with the more partitioned double/n screen option.

And regarding your questioning whether f.ex the Samsung odyssey G9 offers enough screen real estate, please keep in mind that most UW monitors carry a 1440p vertical resolutions and that pixel count from 4k displays is noticeably higher (of importance depending on the scaling option you run).

I do not know of options that would allow you to run 3 HiDpi displays from one USB-C connexion, two plenty, three ...

If you want to keep some headroom regarding upgrades to your battle-station down the road, I'd suggest the M1 Max even If I have not been able to find one decisive answer regarding the limitations for lower resolution monitors (everything is defined of 6k Pro displays XDR :sigh:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.