Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
I used to play around with my Nikon FE a lot, and I'd like to start getting into digital photography. Because I have Nikon lenses already, I'd like to stay with them. But which camera ought I get? From what I can find, I get get either a D40, D50, or barely used D70 within my budget (ca. $600).

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Since you already have Nikon lenses, the choice is easy. D50, all the way. Old Nikon lenses aren't compatible with the D40, unless you want to focus everything manually. Just got the D50 yesterday after a few weeks of research, and I'm not looking back :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I used to play around with my Nikon FE a lot, and I'd like to start getting into digital photography. Because I have Nikon lenses already, I'd like to stay with them. But which camera ought I get? From what I can find, I get get either a D40, D50, or barely used D70 within my budget (ca. $600).

If you're going to use new glass, then go with the D40 or D50. If you're looking at getting used glass, then the D50 or D70s. Personally, I'd go with the D70s for my shooting (mostly fine art nature) because the body size works well with longer glass for me and the next steps up also use compact flash cards. If you prefer street photography, a smaller body may be more of an advantage than a larger one. None of these choices are going to meter with the older pre-AF-D glass though- that may or may not be an issue for you.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Right, exactly. But I thought those lenses, with F-stops controlled by a ring, were still incompatable with the new DSLRs.

Nope, you just set it manually on the ring. The D200 and the professional D1/D2 series cameras also let you use the aperture ring over command dial interface.

It's only if the lenses are non-AI that it would be a problem. Anything AI, AI-S, or Series E (AI-S) will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.