Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wich one would you guys choose?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Johnwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
I have two deals on the table :
1- MBP Mid 2017 15" i7-2,9GHz 7 generation (3.9GHz turbo) 16GB RAM and 512 GB with radeon Pro 560- COST 1800$
2- MBP 2018 15" I7- 2.2GHz 8 genaration (4.1GHz turbo) 16 GB RAM and 256 GB with radeon Pro 555X -COST 2350$

Wich one would you guys choose?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
For the extra money, the 2018s are considered a substantial upgrade. Only downside of your choices is the smaller storage. If you are ok with that.

Johnwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
For the extra money, the 2018s are considered a substantial upgrade. Only downside of your choices is the smaller storage. If you are ok with that.
Do you think the 500 bucks is worth it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What will you be using it for?

Do you need 512GB of storage?

The 2018 15" has 6 cores, and the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard that should make it more durable

Johnwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
What will you be using it for?

Do you need 512GB of storage?

The 2018 15" has 6 cores, and the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard that should make it more durable
Basic stuff and to work on CAD

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Basic stuff and to work on CAD
CAD isn't basic ;)

I'd say you would benefit from the 6 cores and better GPU.

Personally, I'm not a fan of paying a premium for last years technology, and from that perspective alone, I'd recommend the 2018 model, but there's a significant improvement in the performance and that's just hard to pass up imo. Also as mentioned the keyboard should be better.

Johnwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
CAD isn't basic ;)

Personally, I'm not a fan of paying a premium for last years technology, and from that perspective alone, I'd recommend the 2018 model, but there's a significant improvement in the performance and that's just hard to pass up imo. Also as mentioned the keyboard should be better.

I don't know anything about computers. This one is for my brother because he is going to college and its a gift. The 2.2 ghz 8-gen will perform better than the 2.9 ghz 7-gen?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know anything about computers. This one is for my brother because he is going to college and its a gift. The 2.2 ghz 8-gen will perform better than the 2.9 ghz 7-gen?
if its for college classes, either model will be more the up to the task.

Johnwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
if its for college classes, either model will be more the up to the task.
He is graduating in architecture so they do a lpt of work on CAD.
Btw I found the same MBP 2018 for 2000$ so now the difference is only 200$

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
CAD isn't basic ;)

That's a misconception that many folks have. CAD is actually pretty basic from a CPU standpoint. Autocad and Revit (last I checked and I've received no info from Autodesk to the contrary) are still single threaded apps. They are pretty ram hungry though - especially Revit. Video Cards are a mixed bag. Some folks get a nice bump from a certain card, but I can say that on the Mac, I almost always get best results turning off hardware acceleration as it always seems to make things act goofy.

So basically, forgo cores for CPU speed if you can. Quite honestly, I prefer a Mac with integrated graphics as opening Autocad historically triggers the discrete card and kills the battery for minimal gains.

Of course, YMMV, and I work mostly in 2D with AutoCad LT, and run Revit LT in Fusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.