Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
If my TV doesn’t support 4k is there any point in getting the 4k version?

If I got a second hand 3rd gen will it do all the stuff the 4k one does just without 4k content?

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
If you can spring the extra cash, I’d go for the 4K even if you don’t have a 4K TV. Should you get one in the future, it’ll be ready and waiting for you, as opposed to having to buy another Apple TV to view 4K content (assuming you want it and your connection can handle it).

Also, important to note that the 3rd-generation Apple TV isn’t the same as the Apple TV HD, which is the 4th generation, so the 3rd generation doesn’t have Siri and the App Store, etc. Apple TV 4K is the 5th generation, and I don’t know of any differences in functionality between Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K beyond resolution, HDR support, and Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If I got a second hand 3rd gen will it do all the stuff the 4k one does just without 4k content?
As @jonblatho has mentioned, the ATV4k is the 5th generation ATV.

Did you mean the the ATV4 compared to the ATV4k?

If my TV doesn’t support 4k is there any point in getting the 4k version?

Assuming you are deciding between the 4th and 5th gen ATVs, and not the 3rd gen, functionality between the ATV4 (HD) and ATV4k mostly the same.

AFAIK, there isn't really any ATV4k-only apps.

But, I personally would recommend the ATV4k over the ATV4 due to the much better HW in the ATV4K.

Also, if you are paying retail prices, the price differences between the ATV4 and ATV4K is very small. You might as well just pay a little extra and get the much better hardware.

I would only recommend getting the ATV4 over the ATV4k if you found a killer deal for the ATV4.

ATV4 uses the A8, which I think was under powered at the ATV4's launch. So now, four years later, the A8 is ancient in a technology perspective, and while the A10X in the ATv4K is now a few years old, it is just a much better chip than the A8.

IMO, the Apple made several missteps involving the launch of the ATV4 and tvOS, and putting the A8 in it was a big one.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
ATV4 uses the A8, which I think was under powered at the ATV4's launch. So now, four years later, the A8 is ancient in a technology perspective, and while the A10X in the ATv4K is now a few years old, it is just a much better chip than the A8.
We have an Apple TV HD, and although we only use it just for video, the A8 chip works beautifully. For gaming, one will likely want an Apple TV 4K with its much more powerful processor, of course.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
For gaming, one will likely want an Apple TV 4K with its much more powerful processor, of course.
I agree with the gaming.

Prior to the launch of the ATV4, the rumors were that the hardware on the new ATV would be capable of Xbox 360 quality games, which obviously never happened with the A8.

But... there is more to it than just gaming.

We have an Apple TV HD, and although we only use it just for video, the A8 chip works beautifully
The A8 is good for video, but so is the A5 in the ATV3.

Once playing a 1080p video, there probably is very little difference between the ATV3, 4, and 4K, but I do notice a difference when it comes to input lag, launch times, and smoothness of the UI.

I still use the last three generations of ATV at my home, and the overall user experience is much better on the ATV4K than the ATV4, imo.

That is why I would recommend getting the ATV4 only if getting a really good deal. If paying full retail, then just spend a little more for the ATV4K over the ATV4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.