Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serpent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
serpent said:
Well I'm about to sell my nikon D70s and box 18-70mm lens and up to a D200. But I'd also like to buy a 7-10mp P&S. what I had in mind was either the Samsung NV7 OPS:http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06070301samsungnv7.asp
or the NV10: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06070302samsungnv10.asp
what are your oppinions on these two cameras and with Canon's release of A-Series?

Serpent

FS:D70S w/18-70 kit,extra battery,hoodman. mint $750

Before opening the thread....but after reading the title.....I was going to recommend the new Samsungs.....both of these cameras look great and I don't see how you could go wrong with either.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
If wideangle is important to you in a P&S then none of these models qualifies. Your kit lens on the D70s is a wideangle (18mm = ~28mm equivalent on full frame). If wideangle isn't important, then is a wide zoom range important? If so, the NV7 should be considered for its 7x optical zoom or the Canon A710IS for its 6x zoom. If both zoom range and wideangle are important, I'd look into the Ricoh R5. If megapixels are most important, the Canon A640 is the winner with 10MP.

It all comes down to requirements. If you don't have any specific requirements, almost anything is fine...and you'll be shopping mostly for design and price.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Most of the camera companies have introduced new point and shoot cameras this week. I would suggest sticking with one of them rather than going with an electronics company that makes digital cameras on the side.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Which of the camera companies is not also an electronics manufacturer? If you're referring to Samsung, consider Sony. Is Sony an electronics company or a camera company?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ksz said:
Which of the camera companies is not also an electronics manufacturer? If you're referring to Samsung, consider Sony. Is Sony an electronics company or a camera company?

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Ricoh, and Pentax are all camera companies primarily.

Samsung, Sony, Casio, and Panasonic are primarily electronics companies.

Electronics companies have the ability to make adequate cameras but it takes a camera company to make an exceptional camera.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
bousozoku said:
Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Ricoh, and Pentax are all camera companies primarily.

Samsung, Sony, Casio, and Panasonic are primarily electronics companies.

Electronics companies have the ability to make adequate cameras but it takes a camera company to make an exceptional camera.

I would venture to say that those cameras are primarily optical companies as many of their products deal with images and lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.