Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjohnson4382

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I am new to mac and trying to get an opinion on which photo editing software to buy for my macbook. I always used microsoft digital image editor for windows and am looking for something with some more options than that program. It was good for the most part, however it was very limited in a lot of things I could do.. With that being said I do not plan on spending the $800 or so bucks for Photoshop CS4 (although I would love it). I do want a program that has a large number of options to turn my photos into one of a kind photos. I will be using the program a good bit and take many pictures each week along with doing some weddings and stuff on the side, so yall help me out with a program for me. Also I do a lot of nature shooting and odd pics like most amateur photographers do.

Any ideas on what program i should buy?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Try iPhoto it came with your mac and is free.

For something better try Photoshop Elements. Probably available for less than $100. The gimp is a free photoshop type application. No doubt there's a few more, but I can think at the moment.

You can even download Adobe Lightroom or Aperture for 30 days to try. These are workflow tools, with limited editing capabilities. That said, most of my editing is done on Lightroom.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
I am new to mac and trying to get an opinion on which photo editing software to buy for my macbook. I always used microsoft digital image editor for windows and am looking for something with some more options than that program. It was good for the most part, however it was very limited in a lot of things I could do.. With that being said I do not plan on spending the $800 or so bucks for Photoshop CS4 (although I would love it). I do want a program that has a large number of options to turn my photos into one of a kind photos. I will be using the program a good bit and take many pictures each week along with doing some weddings and stuff on the side, so yall help me out with a program for me. Also I do a lot of nature shooting and odd pics like most amateur photographers do.

Sorry Kebabselector, I guess you beat me to the punch! I do find iPhoto much more limiting than Photoshop Elements though.

Have you looked Adobe Photo Elements. It really isn't a bad program for the money and does have some options. It is as easy to learn as Microsoft Digital Image editor. Perhaps someone else has tried something else that they like better?

sjohnson4382

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for the answers so far, hopefully they will keep coming. I have played with iphoto and it just doesn't have enough options. Like I said before I'd love to have CS4 but can't spend that much even though eventually i might use all the options. I did like the ease of Mic. dig image editor and of course will be new to adobe programs ( i have done a little playing on them) so I know it i go adobe it will take me a bit to get used to it. Do you think the newest adobe elements will have enough options or what should I go with?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Photoshop Elements seems to be your best choice
You can use The Gimp for free, but I think Elements is the choice for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Thanks for the answers so far, hopefully they will keep coming. I have played with iphoto and it just doesn't have enough options. Like I said before I'd love to have CS4 but can't spend that much even though eventually i might use all the options. I did like the ease of Mic. dig image editor and of course will be new to adobe programs ( i have done a little playing on them) so I know it i go adobe it will take me a bit to get used to it. Do you think the newest adobe elements will have enough options or what should I go with?

It really isn't that difficult to learn (well not nearly as complicated as CS4). And as was stated you can download and try it out for free. BTW, if you are a student or in the field of education, adobe will give educational discount.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
iPhoto is designed to manage photos, not edit, them. It has a few little edit features as add-ons, but those are not iPhoto's main pull (even if they can be very useful).

I agree with the suggestion of Elements. Also, if you ever want to jump to the pro level, the learning curve won't be too bad.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Give PS Elements a try, but also give Pixelmator a shot; it's a little bit cheaper than PSE and has many of the same tools/features.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If you qualify for an education discount and are using it just for home stuff, you can get the educational Photoshop CS4 for maybe $200. Photoshop is hands down the best photo editing app I have used (no, haven't used Lightroom). If you can get that, I would highly recommend it.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
If you can find someone to hook you up with their student discount you can actually get CS4 for like $200-$300 I think. Or find a student who already purchased it and see if you can get a copy for real cheap....

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
try pixelmator.com

it's $49

less features than photoshop elements but fast and good. i like it and it does almost everything i need and the missing features should come with the next free updates.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Another vote for Elements. Fraction of the cost of CS4 but with pretty much everything a serious amateur needs to edit photos...

SDunleashed

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
If you can find someone to hook you up with their student discount you can actually get CS4 for like $200-$300 I think. Or find a student who already purchased it and see if you can get a copy for real cheap....

I am soon going to college and have been researching all the discounts and what not that apple offers. And I think you can only get CS4 for around $200-$300 if you purchase a macbook.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

This is not the cheapest software but certainly a bit more than Elements - Painter X by Corel. It is kind of a hybrid between Jasp Paintshop Pro and Corel Paint. It lists at around 340 but you might find it cheaper. You might want to check on Corel's website if they have a trial offer.

I know a couple of people who use it and love it. I use for my work Lightroom and CS4 Photoshop. I don't see Photoshop being a good choice on both cost and learning curve for you.

Good luck

- Phrehdd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.