Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmaultsby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I am looking for a photo printer in the $100-$160 range. I look for a workhorse that I print mostly 4X6 and 8X10. Here our three.

Canon Pixma IP 6700D
Epson Stylus Photo R380
HP Photosmart D7260

Which one do you used? Any advise?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The Epson might be the best for the inks and the longevity of the prints on proper paper but you have to use it several times a week to keep it from clogging. <tosses 2nd Epson ink jet device>

I wouldn't expect too much in that price range. I have a Canon all-in-one (MP600) and it could be calibrated to print nice photos but it doesn't have good inks for photos and using great paper will just waste it as the prints will fade rather quickly, as on most printers below $500.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I tried the whole print your own photos at home a long time ago and decided it isn't financially viable. Send them to a lab. No worrying about colors coming out right. It's a helluva lot cheaper too.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I have a Canon Pixma 5000, which is a couple of years old - makes really nice prints on Canon's paper. I don't know what the difference between my printer and the Pixma 6700D you're considering is, but so far I've had no experience with fading prints. I like the individual color ink cartridges, and they're all under $15 to replace, except the larger black one, which is a few bucks more.

I've had good luck in the past with Epson printers (as far as print quality goes,) but the cartridges were bloody expensive to replace, and they seemed to orphan models over a year old, making finding replacement cartridges a real pain. I've tossed out two perfectly good Epson printers because I could no longer find factory ink...

I can't speak for HP - haven't used one recently. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I've had good luck in the past with Epson printers (as far as print quality goes,) but the cartridges were bloody expensive to replace, and they seemed to orphan models over a year old, making finding replacement cartridges a real pain. I've tossed out two perfectly good Epson printers because I could no longer find factory ink...

I don't think that's necessarily true. The cartridges are not always advertised as being compatible for older models, but I've seen the horrendously complicated compatibility charts that are issued to Epson stockists, and there is often a cartridge available, but which isn't marked on the packaging as such.

Case in point: my Epson Stylus Photo EX. This printer is 12 years old - it's so old that I have to use a USB to Parallel cable to connect it. Still going strong, still able to use on my iMac thanks to CUPS, still able to get cartridges for it.

Once you find out the product code for the right cartridges, it's worth shopping around since I've found that prices can vary widely between suppliers. Do not be tempted to use third-party compatibles, because it's a false economy.

Epson all the way, for me ...!

Cheers

Jim

Soschil

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
Copenhagen
I'm very happy with my Canon MP600. AFAIK it uses the printer hardware from one of the Pixma printers. Although from Canon camera owning friends I hear that using both Canon cameras and printers will tend to make everything very red so in this case careful calibration is needed.

Printing at home is not cheaper than doing it at a shop. It should however give you better colors, and it is of course a lot more convenient.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I tried the whole print your own photos at home a long time ago and decided it isn't financially viable. Send them to a lab. No worrying about colors coming out right. It's a helluva lot cheaper too.

I agreee, this is what I tell everyone. What with all the companies undercuting each other, the prices keep falling as well, even the the electronics section of my store I tell customers to just take them to the photo lab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.