Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I found an old heat sink that I extracted from an old PPC PowerMac of mine and I'm trying to identify which PowerMac tower it came out of. I can't remember. I believe it was a G4 tower. I think it came from either a Sawtooth or a Quicksilver G4 tower.

I can't find any photos of a Sawtooth heat sink online. This heat sink has a similar shape to the Quicksilver heat sinks I've seen, but all the Quicksilver heat sink photos have side struts that go horizontally.

Can anyone help me figure out just what this came out of?

Attachments

• Heat Sink-12.jpg
    Heat Sink-12.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Heat Sink-13.jpg
    Heat Sink-13.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 180

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
That looks identical to my single 766 Quicksilver heatsink - definitely for a single CPU. Here’s a picture of the dual 1ghz CPU daughter card & heatsink.
EBFC3B6C-67A4-4E4D-BD7D-60DD0F26B843.jpeg

Notice the extra mount on the right side. The key to its superior cooling ability is that ominous red triangular decal. Joking aside, Side by side they look quite similar in mass, honestly. One can see how they could be confused at first glance.

Reactions: z970 and smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That looks identical to my single 766 Quicksilver heatsink - definitely for a single CPU. Here’s a picture of the dual 1ghz CPU daughter card & heatsink.

Yes it's definitely for a single CPU. I never owned a dual CPU G4 tower and I think I had a Quicksilver. The only thing that keeps me from being confident that this is from an old Quicksilver is the orientation of the blades. Does your single CPU Quicksilver have horizontal blades on the sides? The photos that I've seen of the single CPU Quicksilver heat sinks didn't have all vertical blades like this one does.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It should be from a single proccessor. Digital Audio or Quicksilver

Ok, I'm starting to zero in on it being a Quicksilver Single CPU heat sink. I found some photos of this exact heat sink.
http://technodocbox.com/docview/77/75887504

I also had that upgrade card referenced in that document too. I upgraded one of my towers with a Sonnet card once. I'm just curious how I ended up with the heat sink from that upgrade sitting around in a box.

Man, how I miss the elaborate hardware design of those old PPC and cMP towers.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Ok, this is definitely the heat sink to a single processor G4 Quicksilver. I'm pretty sure I had a Quicksilver and I found some photos online of some G4 Quicksilver internals that showed the heat sink. The confusion I had likely came from some of those photos showing the dual CPU model's assembly without labeling it as the dual CPU model. The dual CPU's heat sinks look different.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It would be from a single 800, 867, or 933.

The Single 733 heatsink looks VERY different with the 90º fins at the ends.

The dual CPU QS heatsinks actually look quite a bit like this-they are just larger and obviously have a larger contact area on the bottom.

Reactions: smirking

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016

The dual CPU QS heatsinks actually look quite a bit like this-they are just larger and obviously have a larger contact area on the bottom.

Oops 733 & yeah the photo above is of that installed 733 in the back ground which is the heatsink Bunn noted & nothing like the ops heatsink. I need to scoop my single 800 out of storage & have a looksie.

Delusions of grandeur

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Are you bringing that up because that's how Apple shipped the Quicksilvers or is it important to get the right model of heat sink on the particular processor for the Quicksilvers? Would this heat sink be good enough if were to be fitted on a single 733 or would it even seat on the processor correctly?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
AFAIK, it should be fine on a 733. You would want to make absolutely sure that the heat pad lined up with the CPU die, but I expect it would.

If I had a QS LoBo, though, that needed a CPU that just wouldn't be my choice of processors for it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.