Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harryw86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Hello!

I've just converted from PC to MAC! Yay! Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to get a photography workflow setup with what I can find for MAC.

I've spent hours using Picasa and iPhoto - on their own and working together - but to no avail :(

If you could impart some pearls of wisdom I'd be much obliged!

I can download new software or even purchase some if need be. However, I'd prefer to get by without spending too much.

What I want to do:

1. Import photos and videos (including .3gp videos) from my camera and/or phone onto an external hard drive.

2. Sort these files into folders according to exif data, such as date taken/recorded. So, for example, at the press of a button, new folders would be created and all the files would be moved into new folders created and named based on the date the file was taken/recorded.

If 1. and 2. can be accomplished using the same program that would be great.

3. I want to be able to edit and save these files without making new copies/backups or moving them. I only want to have one version of each photo/video I have taken/recorded.

4. I want to be able to view all the files using some software. This software should display photos according to the file structure created earlier (in chronological order).
* If, after viewing photos as in step four, I decide to make subsequent edits/adjustments, I would like these to be reflected in the program used to view photos i.e. I want the viewer to display updated thumbnails and photos/videos that may have been edited in a separate program.
* The program in step four should have the capability of tagging, facial tagging, and uploading to facebook.

It's a lot to ask, I know, but I'm hoping that you're a lot more knowledgeable than me!

Thanks for reading my post and for any help/advice you can offer.

Harry

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
what i use

Hi,

On my Macs I use a few things. First of all for any personal photo's and vids I use Iphone... The reason is I can upload direct to facebook and mobileme with out any hassle. For my business I use to use Adobe Lightroom however converted to Aperture (as it integrates better into my mac) Through aperture I can list, order and edit my photo's and with a plugin export direct into photoshop for more full on editing. I can also create a vault back up from Aperture to my idisk or an external drive. For my video editing I do not use any major program to catalog them, I do it manually through a folder system because I use Final Cut Pro 7 and it never imports the files it only marks them.

Not sure if this helps but if you have any questions let me know.

I would also advise getting an Airport Extreme with a 1TB drive attached to its USB port, helps heaps with having your media off the main HDD, you can also access it from anywhere in the world if you are using a laptop.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Lightroom --> CS4 --> LR plugin --> Smugmug

Demo'd aperture but wasnt as plugin friendly and integrated as well w/ CS4

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I use Aperture. It doesn't do anything with videos. If I was starting again, I would choose Lightroom without hesitation. A friend has it and for what I do, it blows Aperture out of the water.

harryw86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Thank you all! Using information from all of your posts I have come across a program called image ingester 3 which helps fulfil all of my criteria when tied in with Picasa/iPhoto.

Kind regards,

Harry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.