Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm about to buy a Canon 7D. I have some basic video editing s/w, apple imovie. I've heard the video format from DSLR's can only be edited with certain programs .

comments/ recommendations ?

thanks (hmm... should I have posted this in the dig.video forum?)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The EOS 7D records to .mov format using the H264 codec.
You need to transcode the files before you can edit them, as H264 is not meant for editing. Use MRoogle to search for similar threads on how to edit in iMovie with that kind of footage.

I recommend MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video files to .mov files using the Apple Intermediate Codec, which is accepted by iMovie, FCE and FCP.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Final Cut Pro 7 or the newly released Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, which I like the best. SONY VEGAS also works. Premiere Pro CS5 has native support though.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks, very helpful info. I plan to upgrade to CS5 Photoshop and then LR3. but probably don't have enough for a more full featured video editing program. My editing needs will be basic (to being with), so when I get the 7D, I'll try transcoding the files and using iMovie first

thanks!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
You can edit the files together in FCP, Premier, etc...

...and then, you can do video post-production of your project in Photoshop if you have CS3 or CS4 Extended.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks, very helpful info. I plan to upgrade to CS5 Photoshop and then LR3. but probably don't have enough for a more full featured video editing program. My editing needs will be basic (to being with), so when I get the 7D, I'll try transcoding the files and using iMovie first

thanks!

Question. What are you buying the 7D for primarily?

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I mostly shoot in available light, landscape, and variety of outdoor shooting. I thought about a used 5D. after seeing some DSLR video (Skywalker Ranch) I was inspired to spend a little more, for the advanced technology in the 7D in a similar body. (can't afford a 5D-2) would give me a chance to experiment with DSLR video.

I also considered the t2i (really an amazing value!) the body just feels too small in my hands. but I haven't totally ruled it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.