Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yurkennis

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
I have the following 3 users on my M1 Macbook Air 2020:
  • userA: admin created during macOS installation, no AppleID connected
  • userB: non-admin, its own AppleID connected, FindMy disabled
  • userC: non-admin, its own AppleID connected, FindMy enabled

After I invoke Mark As Lost in FindMy iPhone app logged in with UserB's AppleID and rebooting into Activate Mac, I can Erase Mac without providing any user credentials. After Mac is erased, I need to activate it:
  • either by providing AppleID and password
  • OR via Use Device Password option

Now the question is: Which of UserA, UserB, UserC device passwords should be accepted for "Use Device Password"?

My own experiments gave inconsistent results:
  • after Mac was locked when UserC logged in, I managed to activate it with UserC's device password
  • after Mac was locked when UserB logged in, I failed to activate it with any of UserA, UserB, UserC device passwords: error messages varied between:
    • Activation lock server cannot be reached
    • The password for this Mac can no longer be used to remove Activation Lock. The password was entered incorrectly too many times
Each experiment takes a couple of hours, so I hope there's official docs / third-party research on the topic.

Some further details of my setup:

UserC's AppleID is an adult, non-guardian member of family owned by UserB.

FileVault enabled during initial MacOS setup; encryption key not associated with any AppleID. Password reset using AppleID is disabled for all users.

• Wow
Reactions: appltech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.